Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2011-model 207 which lately has been showing odd issues relating to the steering. When turning the wheel at very low speeds, you can hear a type of groaning noise coming from somewhere within the engine, and the steering wheel itself feels rough as you turn (it's hard to describe, but it's like it feels like the wheel is "clicking" as you turn it; no clicking noise, just how it feels). At higher speeds, if you turn the wheel slightly left or right it sticks where you leave it instead of drifting back to the centre as it should.

We've had the car into a mechanic twice now; the first time, he replaced the tie-rod ends as they were worn down. When we got it back, it was slightly improved but over time has gotten worse. The second time we took it to the mechanic, the issue miraculously disappeared en route and the steering went back to being buttery smooth. As a result, the mechanic couldn't identify any issues after test-driving it and checking the error code logs. This was about a month ago, and it's bad again.

The main frustration here is how intermittent the issue is; we'll go through a week or so of the steering issues and then they'll go away. It's making it very hard to diagnose the issue as we can't guarantee it will be present if we take it to a mechanic.

Has anyone heard of or experienced such issues before, and had any luck in identifying/fixing it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2011-model 207 which lately has been showing odd issues relating to the steering. When turning the wheel at very low speeds, you can hear a type of groaning noise coming from somewhere within the engine, and the steering wheel itself feels rough as you turn (it's hard to describe, but it's like it feels like the wheel is "clicking" as you turn it; no clicking noise, just how it feels). At higher speeds, if you turn the wheel slightly left or right it sticks where you leave it instead of drifting back to the centre as it should.

We've had the car into a mechanic twice now; the first time, he replaced the tie-rod ends as they were worn down. When we got it back, it was slightly improved but over time has gotten worse. The second time we took it to the mechanic, the issue miraculously disappeared en route and the steering went back to being buttery smooth. As a result, the mechanic couldn't identify any issues after test-driving it and checking the error code logs. This was about a month ago, and it's bad again.

The main frustration here is how intermittent the issue is; we'll go through a week or so of the steering issues and then they'll go away. It's making it very hard to diagnose the issue as we can't guarantee it will be present if we take it to a mechanic.

Has anyone heard of or experienced such issues before, and had any luck in identifying/fixing it?
Hello

My wife had something similar with her 2011 207 hdi. In the end the steering failed altogether when she went to start the car. Basically there was a thump from the engine bay and you couldn't turn the wheel. While researching the Web it came to light that that year has issues with the power steering pump. As it was so low mileage and full history Peugeot replaced it for free, even though the car was 8 and a half years old. It did show up a code error at the time but I couldn't tell you what that was now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

My wife had something similar with her 2011 207 hdi. In the end the steering failed altogether when she went to start the car. Basically there was a thump from the engine bay and you couldn't turn the wheel. While researching the Web it came to light that that year has issues with the power steering pump. As it was so low mileage and full history Peugeot replaced it for free, even though the car was 8 and a half years old. It did show up a code error at the time but I couldn't tell you what that was now.
Thanks for your reply; unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the same issue as it won't fail completely and there's no error codes showing up. It just gets progressively worse and worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts