Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having replaced the rear brake pads on my 207, I'm using a (homemade) device to twist and push the piston back into the cylinder(?) but it will only go in so far - not far enough. Any thoughts would be appreciated please.

Also when I ease off the pressure the piston comes back out so I don't see how pushing it any further will work anyway.

I'm wondering whether I should actually be turning it all anticlockwise, rather than clockwise, so maybe it's only going so far to take up some sort of slack. It's the left hand wheel as you look at the rear of the car.

Help please. Currently up on jack and blocks so I can't even limp it along to a friendly garage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sometimes the rubber binds between the piston and the bore, a bit of silicone spray can free it up. If it's being a right pain sometimes i find it easier to remove the calliper from the car and put it in a vice. Free it up and check it isn't binding before re installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still failing, so I'm hoping anti-clockwise/clockwise is the issue. Unable to find an anti-clockwise rewind tool at Halfords, Screwfix, etc. today, so will visit friendly local garage tomorrow and see what I can borrow.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
not done a rear peugeot ...yet, but on the fords i put one bolt back in the calliper and wedge the other side with a block of wood, this makes a stable unit to give you enough umphh to push and turn at the same time.

·
6,567 Posts
When i did daughters 207 the pistons where very tight to wind back. I used red rubber grease on the pistons and needed a proper tool to wind them back (Both sides where clockwise to wind in).

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Have you removed the handbrake cable from the lever on the rear as if not it could be trying to pull the handbrake on while you are trying to push it off :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Have you removed the handbrake cable from the lever on the rear as if not it could be trying to pull the handbrake on while you are trying to push it off :)
I know i have done the above before, its easily done

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same problem. I replaced one caliper and dismantled the old one to see how it worked. The threaded part attached to the piston engages with a nut in the caliper, in theory turning the piston winds it in or out. In practice because the piston isn't positively attached to the threaded part, it is a sliding fit, you can turn the piston all day without screwing the threaded part back into the caliper nut. Hope that all makes sense. So what are you supposed to do? Buy a new caliper every time you change the pads?! I've checked the bleed nipple is slackened off and that the handbrake cable is disconnected. I've made a decent tool which will turn, push or both at the same time. I've varied the pressure on the piston and the rate of turning the piston. Run out of ideas, can anyone help please, I don't want to have to buy another caliper.

·
6,567 Posts
You often need to put quite a bit of pressure on the piston as you turn it to make it wind back. I use the one in the link below its worked fine on all peugeots including the Daughters old 207CC

Windback tool

·
Registered
876 Posts
+1, had some real tough ones in the past found best way was to get someone to lie down and press the ratchet knuckle with their foot while other turning. doesnt look pretty but gets it done, at least with a wind back cube.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a rear caliper on my CC which was binding a bit. I've got a brake wind back kit with a zillion attachments to it (clock and counter clockwise) which I've used on several cars without any probs and tbh, I'm pretty strong and could hardly get it to budge. I ended up replacing the caliper (I originally intended to refurb it as I'd bought the kit to do so). I'm not suggesting you buy a new caliper, mine didn't release from handbrake so was sticking, but the wind back tool should have still wound it back in but it wouldn't budge more than 1\4 turn. I've since dismantled the old caliper and the piston does wind back on a large "screw", but it refused to do so whilst under hydraulic pressure when attached to the car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts