Peugeot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Minot update on my steering..

Spoke to Peugeot about 2 days ago and they have advised me to book it in to my local dealer and they will contact them going forward.

Local garage have said that I will have to pay for the diagnostic (£120!), but I will take that up with Peugeot when I speak to them tomorrow.

They keep mentioning service records, has anyone else encountered this?

· Registered
12 Posts
Minot update on my steering..

Spoke to Peugeot about 2 days ago and they have advised me to book it in to my local dealer and they will contact them going forward.

Local garage have said that I will have to pay for the diagnostic (£120!), but I will take that up with Peugeot when I speak to them tomorrow.

They keep mentioning service records, has anyone else encountered this?
We had no service records on our car and servicing has nothing to do with he problem. As previous it is a manufacturing fault they should have dealt with via a recall.

· Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2012 207 HDi Sportium ( 75,000 miles) has just had its Power Steering fail on a bendy country road returning from her key worker employment. This could have been a dangerous situation. I took the car to our very good local garage who immediately used their code reader (£35) which showed fault P0606. On switching the engine back on the PAS worked but died again the next day. The garage ordered a Peugeot part ( we are miles from a dealer) charged my wife £358 and £80 labour. Back on the road quickly. Very pleased to join this forum to realise this a common problem which, in my opinion, merited a recall. I have written a very polite letter to Peugeot asking for a refund. They 'signed for' the letter signed this morning. It will be interesting to read their reply. Such a shame as my wife loves the car !

· Registered
12 Posts
My wife's 2012 207 HDi Sportium ( 75,000 miles) has just had its Power Steering fail on a bendy country road returning from her key worker employment. This could have been a dangerous situation. I took the car to our very good local garage who immediately used their code reader (£35) which showed fault P0606. On switching the engine back on the PAS worked but died again the next day. The garage ordered a Peugeot part ( we are miles from a dealer) charged my wife £358 and £80 labour. Back on the road quickly. Very pleased to join this forum to realise this a common problem which, in my opinion, merited a recall. I have written a very polite letter to Peugeot asking for a refund. They 'signed for' the letter signed this morning. It will be interesting to read their reply. Such a shame as my wife loves the car !
Similar to my partner, PS went on a narrow downhill bendy road, could have been very nasty. As for repair, luckily I googled for problems and fund this site so eventually got all costs covered. Must be so many though who have paid independents for the repair. Seems you got a good price. However, hopefully Peugeot will do the right thing and reimburse you. If they don't advertise the extended warranty, how can you be expected to use it?

· Registered
2 Posts
Fingers crossed. The part came from Marshalls of Cambridge, Peugeot dealers.
Have been using our local family garage for 30 years without a problem. My wife is happy to have her 207 back so quickly which she has owned for years. She also likes the £20 a year road tax !

· Registered
12 Posts
Fingers crossed. The part came from Marshalls of Cambridge, Peugeot dealers.
Have been using our local family garage for 30 years without a problem. My wife is happy to have her 207 back so quickly which she has owned for years. She also likes the £20 a year road tax !
NIce to have a reasonably priced, trustworthy garage to use. Our 207cc is £130 as couldn't afford the newer £30 tax models, despite the tax savings. Our i10 is only £30 though so not too bad and £130 is better than the £240 we were paying out on the car before that!

· Registered
3 Posts
Final update and it's a happy one 😁

Car fully fixed by Peugeot! Codes that came up were covered by warranty and car was fixed within 24 hours of them having it.

They did, however, try to charge me for the diagnostic. I explained to them that the car would never have needed a diagnostic if it hadn't been for the power steering module that had failed and after a short (5 minute) pause in hold, the woman at Peugeot Custer Care came back and said everything was covered and I had nothing to pay.

The dealer even cleaned it for me, so big shout out to RRG Oldham Peugeot, who have been very accommodating on what is my general runaround car that gets very little love.

· Registered
9 Posts
My power steering on my 62 licence plate 207 went on the M4 en route to London last week which was a bit of a shock. When we got to the destination, we called out the RAC who did a diagnostic and it got a code of C1414. While waiting for the RAC, I had already read this thread and a couple of others on here so, when we got back (with forearms now of Popeye-esque proportions) I went to the local Peugeot dealer in Chippenham. I was fairly confident as these forums have been very helpful but, when I asked, they asked whether I had a full Peugeot service history. I replied that I didn't. They then said that Peugeot had changed their policy a couple of years ago and they now don't refund without a full service history with Peugeot. This sounds like rubbish to me. Firstly, the electric power steering doesn't get checked with a service, does it? Also, a dangerous manufacturers fault is a dangerous manufacturers fault no matter what the service history, surely? Any advice gratefully accepted before I unleash curmudgeonliness on Peugeot Customer Services (which isn't open today).

· Registered
12 Posts
My power steering on my 62 licence plate 207 went on the M4 en route to London last week which was a bit of a shock. When we got to the destination, we called out the RAC who did a diagnostic and it got a code of C1414. While waiting for the RAC, I had already read this thread and a couple of others on here so, when we got back (with forearms now of Popeye-esque proportions) I went to the local Peugeot dealer in Chippenham. I was fairly confident as these forums have been very helpful but, when I asked, they asked whether I had a full Peugeot service history. I replied that I didn't. They then said that Peugeot had changed their policy a couple of years ago and they now don't refund without a full service history with Peugeot. This sounds like rubbish to me. Firstly, the electric power steering doesn't get checked with a service, does it? Also, a dangerous manufacturers fault is a dangerous manufacturers fault no matter what the service history, surely? Any advice gratefully accepted before I unleash curmudgeonliness on Peugeot Customer Services (which isn't open today).
Either ignorance or a lie from the dealer as shown by all the comments here, where people have had a full refund, including diagnostics, without any relevant service history. As our car not too long ago.
Don't blame PCS, just tell them what happened and see what happens. Maybe find another main dealer to give the business to, if not too far away. You will need a main dealer to re-diagnose the code but that cost should be waived or, eventually, refunded.
However, make sure you re-inforce the danger they put you in allowing you to drive a car with such a dangerous potential fault not being dealt with by a recall.

· Registered
9 Posts
So taking the car in tomorrow to the local Peugeot dealer and they have already started asking about whether I have a full service history and what the mileage. Hoping this is precautionary questions and they aren't going to play silly buggers.

· Registered
9 Posts
Further update on this - just got a call from garage and they said that Peugeot may stump for it and they are waiting for pre-authorisation. However, they have had a check and the factory doesn't appear to have any of the power steering motors left and, to be fair to him, he has tried trusted used parts places and can't find one. If there aren't any around, I fear I am stuck even if Peugeot do agree to pay for it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Just to update, I did get the new power steering fitted free of charge so thank you to all who advised. Just need to get the £230 diagnostics and courtesy vehicle hire back from Peugeot.

· Registered
1 Posts
Could anyone help, my 207 has developed the fault with the power steering but is 10 years and 4 months old. As I have only done 38,000 miles it could be why it has only gone now. I have spoken to Peugeot customer services who say to take the car to a Peugeot dealer for a £125 diagnostic test but wont say whether they would pay if one of the specific codes shows up. I wonder if anyone with a car over 10 years managed to get Peugeot to pay for the repair as I really dont want to waste £125 at Peugeot when I could use that money towards the repair with my local garage. I would appreciate if anyone has had this same dilemma and did Peugeot pay.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We have a 207 - the steering wheel has gone really hard but it is 10years and 1 month. They have advised as it’s over 10years it’s not covered by warranty if the 5 fault codes come up they will be covered under warranty.
Does anyone know what the 5 fault codes are as they would not tell me.
Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We have a 207 - the steering wheel has gone really hard but it is 10years and 1 month. They have advised as it’s over 10years it’s not covered by warranty if the 5 fault codes come up they will be covered under warranty.
Does anyone know what the 5 fault codes are as they would not tell me.
Thanks
Hi sher21

How did you get on with your car? Mine is 10 years 7 months and has just come up with the power steering faulty and had an independent garage diagnostic test which has come back as the power steering motor.
Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey I’ve used this forum to get info coz my power steering went when my car was 10 years and 1 month old, after speaking to Lincoln peugout they told me to got back to where I got the car from coz the WOULDNT do anything and they said customer service won’t help because the car is over 120 months old. Lincoln peugout where horrible and unhelpful. So I rung peugout customer services on 0800 042 2422 for their advice, they gave me a reference number and told me to set up a diagnostic test with a peugout dealership so I tried to ring Lincoln but they stopped picking up to me so I tried Newark and they got me in within the week, they diagnosed the problem with a code C414 I think and quoted the cost, I went back to customer services to tell them the cost of the works which they quoted £650 for the steering motor, and said it could take upto 5 working days so after 4 working days customer service rung me to say they will fully pay for the work and that either they can talk to Newark or I can ring directly and talk it with them about getting the part ordered and the work done, Newark peugout and customer services were both super helpful and apart from the waiting I’m happy with the result!
If the part is bought online it comes with an unlimited warranty so I would question why the original part would not come with the same warranty. From what I’ve read this is a lazy design fault on peugout 207’s and other models but it’s not been recalled in the 207 because, to quote lincoln peugout, ‘enough units have been sold to not warrant a recall’ but people are still having this issue.
My car was only on 54000 miles and it’s diesel so why on earth would the power steering go?!
anywho, good luck to anyone with this problem! Ps don’t use Lincoln peugout

· Registered
1 Posts
Our 207 developed this power steering problem. AA diagnosed it as fault code P0606. Car is 12 years old and we do not have the service history. Found Bristol Street Motors Derby to be no help whatsoever. Robins and Day Notts were more helpful but didn’t believe the repair would be covered by Peugeot as the car was over 10 years old. Contacted Peugeot Customer Care direct and although they put up the expected barriers ( service history/age of car) they eventually agreed that this was an inherent design fault and that they would cover the cost if the relevant fault code showed up on the diagnostic test at Robins and Day. Car was subsequently repaired with no charge for the repair or diagnostic test.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread!

Peugeot 207sw 2013 plate - power steering failure in the lanes. Originally booked in with a local garage but I found this forum. Rang the main Peugeot customer services and logged a case, told to go to a Peugeot dealer and get a diagnostic. Staff at the garage had never heard of a 10 year manufacturer fault warranty and dismissed it.

Dealer rang to confirm the fault (I already knew the power steering had gone) and said 700 for the parts and labour, I asked for the fault codes which weren't immediately available. When they called back they said Peugeot might contribute to the cost so I left it with them as they said it would take a couple of days to get back to me.

Received a voicemail from the dealer saying it will be covered but they wanted to know if I was the original owner and what service history I had. At the same time I was called by main customer services saying don't worry about the owners or service history (why did the dealership even bother asking that?). Main customer services are looking into the diagnostic charge as it is out of warranty and originally mentioned this would need to be paid. As another user has mentioned I wouldn't have needed a diagnostic if it hadn't failed in the first place.

I'll update with the diagnostic charge, car is about 130k on the clock from memory and has one service history stamp.

Thank you to all of you who posted about this, I had to create an account just to keep the awareness bumping along!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks. Back in 2019 my 207 Allure 1.6 HDI on a 12 plate suffered the dreaded power steering failure. (Speedo reading was 90583). Being ignorant of this forum (yes, I'm an idiot) I took the car to my local guy for fixing. I'm unaware of what the fault codes were but I got invoiced £789 to have the "steering rack" replaced (wondering if that was an accurate description.....). So, 2 weeks ago the dreaded stiff steering, followed by the warning light reoccurred. (106k on the speedo).
I know it's not worth my while even discussing this with Peugeot dealership at this point, but i would tell anyone with a faulty car to look at the forums first..... I wish I had initially!
The thing is, I love my 207 for it's comfort and unbelievable fuel economy. Really reluctant, but I'm thinking of putting it on e-bay as a duff motor. (Been offered £1000 trade in against a 2008).........

· Registered
2 Posts
Anyway, as a follow up, a friend happened to mention he'd seen a Vehicle Fault Code reader for sale at Aldi. So I went to look....... after a bit of searching I saw the device almost hidden in one of the middle bays. Clearly it was the last one at this branch so I bought it. £12.99. Went straight out to the car to test it & it did everything it is supposed to.... but the car was behaving itself and the steering was perfect! Same yesterday too.... I'll keep you posted folks.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.