Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Everything is fine with my car how ever when I get to normal operating temperature and every time i am sat still in traffic or parked up my temperature seems to rise to near the top of the gauge and then the fam comes on and the the temperature goes back to normal temperature and then 2 minutes later it happens again. It come up today to stop as the engine temp is to high.

Has anyone got any ideas as it's bugging me?

Thank you

·
6,449 Posts
You are most likely hearing the fan on high speed it should also run at a lower speed to keep airflow through radiator and maintain lower temp

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yh the fans comes on slow then when it gets really hot the fan comes on high checked this Morning

Anything else I could check?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sounds like it's working properly to me. Does it puke coolant?. It could be the temperature gauge isn't completely accurate. I gave a friends 206 a major service last week, and noticed the gauge under read slightly.
If the car isn't throwing out coolant you have nothing to fix!. :)

Roger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cleaned the contacts on the connectors recently, after it'd shoot up after just minutes of idling, in cold weather, when nothing else checked out. The connectors were quite dirty, seemed to have exact same trouble as you.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would do a basic check first to figure out whether it is overheating or you have a faulty sensor/gauge.
Buy yourself one of these cheap infrared thermometers off ebay and read various points on the cooling system with the car at normal operating temp on the gauge. Shoot readings on upper and lower radiator hoses, try to get readings across the face of the radiator, some on cylinder head etc. Then redo when temp climbs to red on gauge and compare.
If the readings confirm the gauge reading that the engine is overheating, then you can rule out any sensor issues.
If it is overheating, using the readings will help pinpoint the cause. A big difference in upper/lower radiator hose temps will indicate a flow issue, check thermostat. Readings on the face of the radiator will tell if the core is partially blocked in areas. Etc. Using the IR thermometer is a really quick easy way to diagnose overheating issues.

If you can plug into PP2000, do live readings when hot/overheating. Check on the temp reported by the ECU temp sensor and compare to the gauge reading. This will confirm if the gauge sensor is faulty if the 2 readings are far apart. i.e. ECU sensor reports a reading well below the gauge reading.

·
6,449 Posts
Both the temp gauge and the engine ecu share a sensor so you will not see any discrepancy. As the heater works water pump must be OK, Try heater on full with heater fan on full and see if it still overheats

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a similar issue with my car. 207, petrol, 1.4, 54kW. I had issues with thr thermostat. Last week it was replaced and since then when I am in traffic the temperature of the engine rices up to 100 degrees. I hear the fan working but the temperature is not dropping or drops really slow. I brought it twice in Peugeot service but they do not find nothing problematic. So my asking is what is the normal working temperature? Its winter here in Bulgaria. 0 degrees and bellow 0. If the temperature is high right now what will happen in the summer when temperatures rise up to 30 degrees?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I really think we are getting worked up over a non-existent problem.
The OP has a car that reads hot, but doesn't lose coolant, probably an over reading gauge.
Petroca says his car gets to 100 degrees before the fan kicks in. Well, that's what it's supposed to do. In the summer the fan will still kick in at the same temperature, it just might reach that temperature sooner.

Roger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts