Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really hoping you can help me. I previously owned a 207 . I was informed when I purchased the vehicle from a private trader in 2014 that the it had previously been MOT'd in km but incorrectly recorded in miles. I noticed last year the same thing appears to have happened again. I recently sold the vehicle and now the buyer is trying to take me to court because he says I have clocked the vehicle which I 100% have not.
This is the mileage history:
2010 - 9,890 (correct)
2011 - 19,755 km (12,227 miles)
2012 - 24,628 km (15,303 miles)
2013 - 17,018 (correct)
2014 - 34,337 km (21,336) miles
2015 - 30,795 (correct)
You can see that with the three recalculations in 2011, 2012 and 2014 the mileage history is much more consistent. However I obviously need to be able to prove this to be able to avoid court action.
How on earth can I get something in writing to prove that the car has not been clocked?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This is bonkers, although you can change from miles to kms in the menu, the display in front of the steering wheel stays in miles presumably to comply with UK legislation. Surely you can show the purchaser your sales ad with the correct mileage. There must be a fault that in your old car that is alternating between miles and kms. I would forward a link to your post to the purchaser, I can't see that the different miles and kms in the DVLA records would make a significant impact to the car's value in any event.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying that it is possible that when it was MOT'd the mechanic could have read the odometer in km but recorded it in miles? I know the display stays at miles on the dashboard.
I have tried to explain this to the new buyer but he's not buying it.
I know on paper it looks dodgy but I stand by the fact that it hasn't been clocked but I have no idea how to prove it!
Such a nightmare!!

·
6,079 Posts
To the best of my knowledge UK MOT system only allows miles (my bike has KM speedo and they record miles for KM from odometer) You have very few options other than present info as post 1.

If it goes to court i would think you could provide enough info for the case to be thrown out as it is likely it could only be a civil claim by new owner.

As a caution for any one CHECK your MOT when issued you have 14 days if the mileage has been recorded incorrectly to get MOT station to change it after that you are stuck with what is shown on certificate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
New buyer should have carried out a HPI check BEFORE handing over any money for the car as this would have picked up the mileage discrepancy's.

They could have also checked the MOT history online which again would have shown up the mileage readings.

Call the buyers bluff, let them try & take it to court.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KDF3.
Did you buy the car BEFORE or AFTER the 2014 MOT.
If after, then in all honesty, I would have been a little bit worried about a mileage history that only made sense if the totals had sometimes been recorded as Kms, and sometimes in Miles. Why would that happen unless there is an actual fault with the car, and the odometer switched between the two at random. Is it not possible that previous to your ownership, the car HAS been clocked and you are just finding out the hard way that you should have been a bit less trusting when you bought it ? I'm sure you haven't done anything illegal, but that may not be true of a previous owner.
If you had the 2014 MOT after you bought the car, didn't you check the MOT certificate ?

I'm sorry - and not doubting your own honesty for one moment - but I just can't see how an MOT Tester could read the total from the dashboard in miles, and then convert that figure in to Kilometers before writing (typing) out the ticket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased the car January 2014 and it MOT's in June. It has had two MOT's in my ownership and I 100% haven't clocked it so there is a fault somewhere it's just finding out where and then getting proof. I had written confirmation from the previous owner that it had been MOT'd in km.
Honestly don't know how I'm going to solve this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You could start with the MOT station where you had it MOT'd in June 2014 and ask them how and why they could have possibly recorded the mileage in kilometres.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry - still can't get my head around this .................
when you get into the car, there are two numbers on the dash - one is the "trip" and shows miles or kms after the number. The other - total mileage - is just a long number. Are you saying that sometimes this number is miles and sometimes kilometres but you don't know which one (other than the fact you personally know that you have done (say) 5000 miles and not 8000 km ?)
Does it change totally randomly - you never know from one day to the next which it is going to be ?
In other words - has the MOT tester has just written down the long number (total distance travelled) but the car decides whether it will display that distance in miles or kilometres ? Is that correct ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh thanks. I have made enquiries with vosa. Waiting for them to get back to me. Hopeful they can rectify the situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts