Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
207 1.4 Hdi 2009.
Please, can anyone help with a little differential diagnosis.
Symptoms: Engine cuts out at low revs; junctions, lights etc and idles really rough 'some' of the time. If it cuts out it's difficult to start but while it's running it runs really smoothly and has no problems with acceleration or cruising. There are no warnings or faults flashing up on the display...
I've tried running some injector cleaner through it, no joy. Disconnected the MAF sensor ( which made a difference on a similar vehicle I used to own ) no joy.
I'm supposed to be driving to the south of France in 9 days and it being Christmas can only afford to fix the fault rather than have a garage replace all the things that 'might' be the cause.
Help would be very, very much appreciated :(
E2a: This only seems to happen when the engine has reached normal running temperature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the suggestion, but can't find any reference to the location or where to buy a new one specific to my engine... I'm not hoping someone will do all the work for me but I honestly can't find it in relation to my model.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's a diesel, diesels are unthrottled so don't have an IAC valve. Chances are the issue is going to be one of three things. Check for any vacuum leak on any of the air intake pipes, if they're OK check the egr valve, could be stuck open a clean with wd40 will sort this temporarily. Of the egr is OK it's probably an air leak into the fuel line below the airbox, it rubs slightly on the 1.4 and eventually causes a tiny hole

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gibbo, I've taken those steps while persuing all routes as I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Joe336, the egr route is where I'm headed today... I don't think it'll be the fuel line as that was replaced less than a year ago. I haven't seen/heard any air leaks and the failure seems to be when the engine is proper hot rather than at urban running hot. I shall report on today's success/failure if this doesn't hit the spot. Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah the vacuum leak is unlikely but still worth a check, I would still check the fuel lines too as if they were installed incorrectly they could have worn through more quickly plus the priming bulb can be a culprit for this as well if you have one fitted. If you clean the egr valve and it sorts the problem is look at blanking it off of I were you (in fact I'd do that anyway)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. What does blanking it off do ? I've seen this mentioned in many posts and plates available on Ebay etc but not really sure what the effect is...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Essentially it blocks the gas from re entering the air that goes into the cylinder. As it doesn't burn it is just taking up space in there when the valve opens, meaning the diesel isn't burning as hot which means it burns less efficiently. But the biggest gain is it prevents soot from entering which contaminates the oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a visable groove in the top which seems to be making it stick. Waiting for a part now... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help Joe366. Codes indicated EGR when tested, new part fitted, test drive to hot running went well with no rough idle at rest, so hopefully the job is jobbed :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Problems have returned having run happily on a 120 mile round trip to London... It now cuts out cold, and somewhat randomly, and the rough running, when it presents itself, has extended to above tickover. It seems to begin when braking against the engine up to junctions then continues until the engine stalls. First time it wouldn't start until the AA came and got it going but now seems to start immediately after stalling. More help please ? :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd be looking to fuel issues then as you've changed the egr. Check for wear to the pipe under the airbox. Then swap the filter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've now blanked the EGR to completely rule it out ( I thought maybe some crud from the pipe might have jammed it ) and I'm awaiting further symptoms... I've also changed the fuel filter and the AA guy looked over the pipes and couldn't find a leak. I hate intermittent faults :mad: :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
If there's definitely no leaks, the egr is blanked and the filter is good. You don't have many more options but an issue with an injector. If still say there was air in the fuel system though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts