Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to here so please be gentle. I have a 2013 207 sw 1.6 (bmw engine).
It has recently overheated loosing all of its water. I noticed that the heater inside hasn’t blown hot air for ages. The car conked out last weekend and is now stuck on my drive. It starts but has developed a misfire, and has now got a quite heavy knocking clashing sound coming from the top of the engine.
I’ve spoken to someone and he thinks it overheating may have stretched the timing chain and now is out of timing.
Any help on this would be hugely appreciated as in at a bit of a loss now☹Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has the Check Engine light come on? Do you have access to an OBD2 code reader? If you can find out what error code your On Board Diagnostics computer is reporting, you can find out more about what the problem is. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its NOT a bmw engine its a peugeot engine with bmw timing parts its the bmw parts that break :)

As for your issue my guess is its dropped a valve seat due to overheating well known issue on this engine you will need a lot of time and money spent on it if that is the case.

Do a compression test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its NOT a bmw engine its a peugeot engine with bmw timing parts its the bmw parts that break

As for your issue my guess is its dropped a valve seat due to overheating well known issue on this engine you will need a lot of time and money spent on it if that is the case.

Do a compression test.
aahh, thank you for the responses. I did do a diagnostic test and it came back with no faults. The engine light has come on and the display is telling me engine needs repair. I’m a bit dubious about turning it over again in case it makes it worse still. Is it right that the thermostat on this engine is not reliable and can give a lot of probs?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Compression test will tell you if the engine is ok internally im confident you will find compression is down on 1 cylinder and the noise is due to the dropped valve seat if you google this engine for valve issues in peugeots and minis you will see its a common issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again, I think your right about a dropped valve!! I’ve taken the rocker cover off and one of the rockers has fallen out. Hence the god awful noise. Next job, now take the head off to see the damage from the other side.....also I can now see how hot the engine got as the gasket at the back to the right had melted?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts