Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

When I was driving my 2012 Peugeot 207, the engine light came on and the car started going slow (I guess this is limp mode).

I had to call out recovery, who diagnosed this as:
"Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - 5F8 / Motronic MEV 17.4 Status :p1340 - Ignition failure, cylinder 4. Error Message : Misfire detected. Error static. Status :p1337 - Ignition failure, cylinder 1. Error Message : Misfire detected. Error static.misfire on idle and engine management light on. Erased faults to see which one returned and engine started running ok again and no faults returned. Advised taking to garage for further investigation"

It drove absolutely fine after he reset the codes, until I idled for too long...

So I thought it might be the spark plugs / ignition coil. I just have them both replaced, and drove absolutely fine. But when parking up outside my house and idling for about 2 minutes, the car started to vibrate a little bit and engine light came on, and the car rev counter was going up and down. It seems to be fairly stable now though but EML is on and I think the engine still sounds rough (guess it might be in limp mode again).

Any idea's what this could be? I just ordered one of these OBDII scanners to see if it's the same issues.

About a month ago I had a similar issue, in which I took it to Peugeot and they changed spark plugs. It sorted it for about a month.

Many thanks,
John.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

Just checked the faults again, and have:

P1337
P1340

Doing a bit of research online, P1340 is "Camshaft position sensor B circuit Malfunction" - could this be the cause?

Many thanks,
John.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi all,

Just checked the faults again, and have:

P1337
P1340

Doing a bit of research online, P1340 is "Camshaft position sensor B circuit Malfunction" - could this be the cause?

Many thanks,
John.
what engine is it ? THP turbo petrol?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
is it a vti, if so swap cam sensors over see if problem changes to sensor A,
if so get new sensor, funny enough did this job a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it a vti, if so swap cam sensors over see if problem changes to sensor A,
if so get new sensor, funny enough did this job a few weeks ago.
Hi thanks for the reply.

Don't think it is. It's a 1.4 Petrol 75bhp. I'm getting so confused because some people say the p1340 is a cylinder 4 misfire, and other places say it's the camshaft sensor :(.

Might see if I can change the camshaft sensor and see if it fixes it - although getting one seems to be quite difficult...

Many thanks,
John.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

It's not the VTI engine. I called Peugeot and apparently the engine I have doesn't even have a Camshaft sensor :/.

I just had a mechanic have a look, and he reset the fault codes, and it works fine, so the misfiring is an intermittent thing.

The only issue now is that the engine overheats. My coolant tank sometimes is empty, and other times it's over the max line. There is also lots of pressure in the coolant tank.

He touched 2 'tubes' (sorry I'm really clueless when it comes to cars!) while the coolant temperature was at 90 degrees celcius. One of them was warm, the other was cold. The vents were blowing cold air when on the hottest setting (until I started driving). So he has suggested that it is the thermostat which needs replacing. Not to mention that the fan was on constantly after about 5 minutes of idling.

Could a faulty thermostat cause intermittent misfiring?

Many thanks,
John.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i would test for head gasket fail before going any further, you can buy the kit yourself on ebay but a freindly garage may test for free.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Lots of pressure in the coolant tank might suggest a head gasket problem. Though it does depend on what you mean by "lots".

But you could also have an air lock in the cooling system. This would explain why it's sometimes full and sometimes empty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the help.

If you take off the coolant cap and have the engine running, it is literally like a steam train.

I took the car to Peugeot and they have done a chemical test which has come back suggesting it is the head gasket. They still have my car, and on Tuesday they will do a compression test to confirm it is the head gasket.

A bit annoying really that after 49k the head gasket has gone... :(

Thanks all have a nice easter break.
John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you find out what was causing the issue?

I have the same problem you describe although on cylinder number 2.

My coolant is really low again after topping up just a few weeks ago. No emulsification in the oil though suggesting head failure.

Any ideas anyone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts