Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here.. Had 106 Gti's before but humped back in with a 207 CC with the other half.

Long story short it needs a gearbox I think. Trying to search for the correct part number is like pulling teeth...

Service box using my VIN states my car is 20CQ46

Now... Will a 20CQ25 fit? Appears to be from a 1.4 16v mostly?

What about any others? I've found all sorts starting "20CQ..##" But the last 2 numbers don't match.. help!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
6,248 Posts
Last two numbers are the important bit. You need same code other codes will have different gear and final drive ratios based on torque and hp of engine in the vehicle.

The 1.4 box may fit but it will be under geared due to lower power of 1.4 same as if you fitted a hdi box it will be over geared due to higher torque and lower revving nature of the engine

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Windy, cheers for the response.

Strange because I'm finding loads of other info where people are saying "any 1.6 gearbox will fit" and threads on here where multiple boxes will for cars. Do I have any alternatives at all?

20CQ46 seems pretty rare... If that's even exactly what it is! Hoping service box is correct...

·
6,248 Posts
Yes they will physically fit but gearing will be all over the place.

What's wrong with your box my daughter had same car and her gearbox got very noisy with a juddery clutch and the input shaft bearings had failed due to slightly low gearbox oil.

I got silly quotes for a new or exchange box and rebuilt hers for less than £60 following a few guides on the net

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's making a loud noise when driving in all gears. Sounds almost like a tyre rubbing against the arch constantly... But it's not that.

Changed bearing
Changed driveshaft
Changed wheel
Swapped brake discs over
Calipers ok

Don't know what's left apart from gearbox. The noise is unbearable!

·
6,248 Posts
does it make a noise when stationary when in neutral with clutch up. If so could be input shaft bearing (noise is normally linked to engine revs rather than speed)

if noise is only when driving could be diff bearings (normally speed related whine) as you have changed everything else

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just jacked it up and double checked. It's definitely 20CQ46! Annoying...

Are those parts more easy to change than buying a whole new box?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't make the noise in neutral with clutch up, so not clutch release bearings or anything.. only happens when driving anything above about 10mph and gets louder and louder as you go faster!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last two numbers are the important bit. You need same code other codes will have different gear and final drive ratios based on torque and hp of engine in the vehicle.

The 1.4 box may fit but it will be under geared due to lower power of 1.4 same as if you fitted a hdi box it will be over geared due to higher torque and lower revving nature of the engine

If the gearbox model 20CQ25 also comes out of a petrol 1.6 207... Why would this have different ratios etc?

·
6,248 Posts
If the gearbox model 20CQ25 also comes out of a petrol 1.6 207... Why would this have different ratios etc?

Weight of vehicle (CC weighs 10% more than normal model), and engine tune.

As servicebox is down cannot check there but general search lists that box for some 1.4 206's and C4 1.6 16V petrol but not sure how good that info is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn....

i will search for 206 and C4 boxes then, see if anyone happens to have that model...

im finding it impossible to get a replacement second hand ... seen plenty of cheap ones with slightly different codes, but all 20CQ's...

bloody French cars!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say under rear end of gear box...

If you jack car up and crawl under do your head is facing rear of car.. it'll be right in your eyeline . Absolute ball ache to get to

·
Registered
2 Posts
20CQ46 gearbox

I also have issues with this gearbox, does some one have parts for it, or you have you old broken one, and could sell me a part for it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out gearbox wasn't my problem so nothing wrong with the first one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts