Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! Wasn't expecting to have problems so soon after buying the car!

Lets go back in time to Friday...

I picked up the car from the seller and drove it through Croydon to my mum's house in South London no problems. Come saturday, I left to leave for Guildford and got a mile down the road when the car died. The first message was 'Battery charge or voltage level faulty'. Then 'ABS Failure', then 'Brake failure, STOP'. I managed to nurse it to a garage and the mechanic said he thought the alternator had gone. I called the guy I bought it from and he came out (I had left in my mum's car at this point, left it with her) and said it was the battery. He ran down to Halfords, bought and installed a new battery and it appeared to resolve the issue.

Fast forward to today. My mum had been driving the car around yesterday and said there were no issues. I drove to London to pick it up and left for Guildford again. All appeared fine.

Halfway down the M25 the 'Battery charge or voltage level faulty' message came up again. The red Battery light on the dash was also lit. Thankfully that was it and I made it back to Guildford without the car dying. The Battery light however has stayed lit.

After some poking around online there are a couple of instances where this is the alternator belt causing the issue. My question is - has anyone else experienced this, or fixed this before? Really quite disappointed that 3 days after getting the car this issue keeps appearing. :(

Any advice as usual will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Hi Guys! Wasn't expecting to have problems so soon after buying the car!

Lets go back in time to Friday...

I picked up the car from the seller and drove it through Croydon to my mum's house in South London no problems. Come saturday, I left to leave for Guildford and got a mile down the road when the car died. The first message was 'Battery charge or voltage level faulty'. Then 'ABS Failure', then 'Brake failure, STOP'. I managed to nurse it to a garage and the mechanic said he thought the alternator had gone. I called the guy I bought it from and he came out (I had left in my mum's car at this point, left it with her) and said it was the battery. He ran down to Halfords, bought and installed a new battery and it appeared to resolve the issue.

Fast forward to today. My mum had been driving the car around yesterday and said there were no issues. I drove to London to pick it up and left for Guildford again. All appeared fine.

Halfway down the M25 the 'Battery charge or voltage level faulty' message came up again. The red Battery light on the dash was also lit. Thankfully that was it and I made it back to Guildford without the car dying. The Battery light however has stayed lit.

After some poking around online there are a couple of instances where this is the alternator belt causing the issue. My question is - has anyone else experienced this, or fixed this before? Really quite disappointed that 3 days after getting the car this issue keeps appearing. :(

Any advice as usual will be much appreciated!
what is the voltage on the battery when the car is started

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't test this as I don't have the equipment to do so, but with the old battery at the garage it was reading 12v, but when I did anything electrical like turn wipers or lights on it would drop to around 7v (if memory serves me right).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts