Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here so my apologies if this has been answered before. I could only find threads about 207s with the HDI engine.

I have 207 1.4 VTI, 2008 57 model with 65k on the clock. I seem to be putting in a lot of oil - it needs topping up every couple of tanks.

Does this seem excessive? It does to me. There are no obvious oil leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am putting in about half a litre every couple of tanks - about every 800 miles.

Basically, I put oil in every time I get the 'check oil' message. On checking actual dipstick the level is just about at the lower marker each time.

R

·
0 Posts
have you checked to see if you have blue smoke out the exhaust you could be burning it.you shouldnt be topping it up that much so often.theres not alot of places it could be going if theres no leaks then chances are your burning it which could be vaulve guide seals or worn piston rings..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using 5w30 fully synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1.

I haven't noticed any excessive smoke, but I will ask the wife to rev the engine whilst I have a look.

Would excessive oil burning cause an emissions fail on MOT? As it passed with no problems just recently.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi tom try using a heavier oil like 10/40....i think 5/30 is too light almost like pee lol...my avensis drinks the oil but thats a fault on these...an will need a new short engine..mine has passed mot no probs just make sure you heat that cat up before u go to centre.an try using new oil before the test too.i put lucus oil stabilizer in with my oil seems to help .!just keep an eye on it an keep it topped up:thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
I am putting in about half a litre every couple of tanks - about every 800 miles.

Basically, I put oil in every time I get the 'check oil' message. On checking actual dipstick the level is just about at the lower marker each time.
A little over half a litre every 1000 miles isn't desirabłe, but isn't excessive. Anything up to 0.75 litre/1000 miles is considered acceptable consumption, but is still more that I would want.

It's a tricky one. There could be a problem, or it could've been badly run in (ragged from day 1 will do it, a big problem with high performance bikes and impatient owners). For reasons not entirely understood all-alloy engines are prone to this.

If it is glazed bores you're stuck with it unless you want to stomach the cost of a full engine strip for a bore hone.

They youre looking at stuff like valve stem seals, the engine breather system etc. check for a puff of blue smoke of starting, or blue smoke on revving.

Whatever you do, do not be tempted to use a heavier grade of oil unless it is on the list of oils for your engine. Modern motors are so finely machined that even the thickness of the oil film is critical and you can quickly bollocks it up. The 1.6 HDi and old 1.2 Poxhaul unit are examples of motors particularly succeptible to damage in the way. In any case, if its glazed bores, valve seals, breather pumping etc then heavier oil won't make any difference.

I'd have a look and a bit if an investigation, but that's still within the consumption tolerance quoted in the ICME by Peugeot, Renault, VW, MINI and a few others, doing its nothing obvious its probably safe to live with if you're keeping it topped up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
10/40 is totally safe to use on the engine i have been using 5/30 fully synth on my avensis an was told by toyota to not use it as its too light and to use 10/40 semi..5/30 is ok on a brand new engine till about 10/15000..and as i say its like piss!!look in your hand book its recommended!

·
Registered
145 Posts
also tom is it a belt or chain?? i know chains use a bit more oil..have you checked theres no leaks anywhere on it??is it a vvti engine??

C

·
0 Posts
I never said 10w/40 wasn't safe. I said don't use a heavier grade that is not recommended for that engine.

In any case, with a temp difference of only 2 degrees C to achieve the same viscosity at temperature, its not going to solve any problems.

I suspect its bore glazing, in which case nothing whatsoever will cure it other than engine disassembly and honing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was only pointing out that that oil is safe to use...and chopper will a strong engine flush not take the glaze off??theres something on google about it? think its from oz...tom if you check the toyota owners forum there is loads about oil consumption on there.

C

·
0 Posts
No it won't. Anything strong enough to bust a glaze will damage engine internals. A hone is the only way, or live with it.

D

·
0 Posts
10w40 is not safe for this BMW engine. It causes problems with the variable lift mechanisms. The best oil to use is a good quality fully synthetic 5w30.

Nothing but a set of piston rings will cure the problem fully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Antipolllution fault - Peugeot 207 petrol 57 plate 85000 miles

Have posted similar question previously but would appreciate any ideas?

Engine-management light lit, pinged and 'anti-pollution' fault display shows every time on start-up.

There is NO noticeable reduction in performance.

However 1st time it came on just after I topped-up engine oil (usual warning light 'check oil' comes on every 600/1000 miles = requires half litre oil). Normal for this car as per hand-book notes.

Think I might have over-filled as I noticed slight oil residue around rocker box. No black smoke or oil spots on floor. When EM alert appeared, took it to local garage and diagnostic showed code 0420 - problem with catalytic converter.

I had new cat fitted 1 year ago (not genuine Peugeot part). As MOT was now due took it in and it passed emissions test and mechanic turned off the EM alert. Drove approx 1500 miles (with usual oil top-up) and EM warning came back on.

Does anyone think there is a connection between oil refils and EM warning?

PS: MT mechanic (who fitted replacement cat) reckons fault code is to do with 'un-burnt fuel' not the cat! any ideas.

PPS: at 90,000 miles Timing Belt requires change do you think this will sort out problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use same amount of oil on my 207. 08 plate i am told this is normal on a 207 no smoke i am told it is because oil is so thin but to keep on using it ,£8 a litre every 800 miles not to bad .at least it keeps oil clean

·
6,474 Posts
I decided with the daughters car that due to the high oil consumption I would try 0/40 Mobil 1 at the last oil change just to see what affect it would have, car is still running fine with no issues and oil consumption has dropped from near 1ltr per 1000 miles to less than 300 ml in 2500 miles so result.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts