Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 207 1.4 petrol single cam (2008) keeps destroying thermostats.
It's no had three in two months.
First the symptoms.
When the thermostat is new the temperature on the dash gauge gets up to around 90 degrees quickly and what appears to be a normal time.
Two or three days later the dash gauge will not pass 70 degrees and takes an age to get there, many miles sometimes.
At this point I take the thermostat out of the engine to find that it is in pieces. The Spring has come off the housing and the clip that held the spring in place has really damaged and chewed up the plastic housing.

I've checked all the passage ways and hose near the thermostat for foreign objects but can't find anything.

Any suggestions please.

Thank y

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thermostat 1 was replaced by a main dealer, so I assume it was genuine.
Thermostat as 1& 2 were non genuine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If the thermostat is physically destroyed after two or three days I would be looking for something that is causing it , has a water pump disintegrated at some time in the car's life ? not unknown these days with plastic impellers fitted, or it could be as simple as a bolt or nut that has been dropped into the cooling system and is being circulated.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If it's that, you could fit a mesh strainer upstream of the thermostat, in the outlet tank.

Come to think of it, the rogue item could be in the outlet tank.

·
Registered
202 Posts
do you flush the coolant system when you change the thermostat? you obviously need to drain it but do you force water through? this should dislodge any potential debris

·
Registered
174 Posts
No need to drain the cooling system when changing a thermostat, and any foreign body that is capable of destroying the thermostat would I guess be to large to pass through either the main radiator or heater element, I would expect it trapped somewhere not to far from the thermostat itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts