Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my father in laws 2012 207 has been messing about for a couple of weeks, he had it serviced and MOT'd, it's got 15k on the clock and it's done 2k in the past year so god knows why he wanted it serviced, I have to say he loves the car and it looks brand new.

A couple of days after the service he turned the car off but the starter kept spinning, he disconnected the battery to stop it, the garage had a look and found the fuse box corroded and starter solenoid burnt out. They replaced the fuse box and starter and all was well for 1 trip when the same thing happened.

Long story short, he took it to the main dealer who quoted, wait for it, £4,800 to repair it, £900 for the ECU £1500 a full loom and the rest is labour to fit it, they also indicated they didn't want to do the job even if he was happy to pay (is this why they inflated the price?)

They took pics of the ECU which shows corrosion on the 2 of the pins but not much else, the pic of the plug was something else, lots of green and really corroded.

The dealer got the car started by bumping it due to the starter being burnt out again, my question is where do I go from here, he's so upset it's unreal, the car is too old for Peugeot to look at as good will but even if they paid for the parts he'd struggle to pay for the labour.

I've tried to locate a used loom to take the plug off but as good as I am at soldering looking at the number of wires it would be beyond me.

I'm contemplating cleaning the plug with ridiculous amounts of contact cleaner to see if I can get a connection then replace the starter again to see if it works, any ideas?

·
Registered
877 Posts
well known problem, some have had it paid for or part paid for by peugeot but dont know how you would get on with a older car.

could try and botch up a repair see how it goes, but change coolant temprature sensor as this is one place it leaks back up the loom.

scrap car to play with would be better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Stripe, as it's stands it looks like it'll get sold for spares or repair, it'll be a bargain for some auto sparky if they can sort it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar fault on my wifes 207 07 plate, posted here (no replies as now), but my fusebox and ecu connections totally dry and clean. At main dealer at the moment awaiting a diagnostic check. Not holding too much hope and am watching a couple of ecu/bsi/fob kits on ebay. feckin french shite :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was weird was the dealer replacing the ECU only, no mention of clocks or fob to match it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
i could be wrong but often the ecu must match the keyfob chip and the remote match the bsi, so some cars just need a ecu and fob chip, but others need the whole kit.
no idea on the peugeot setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts