Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. So I have this 207 1.4 hdi, which I had chiptuned by a pretty reliable local workshop, so now it has a really nice power curve, and gives me a maximum of 194.4 Nm at 2345 rpm, and of 88.1 HP at 4090 rpm. :)

It really made the car a lot nicer to drive. However, I got very confusing and contradicting info about adding an intercooler.

Apparently the 1.6 hdi engine has a bypass valve in front of the cooler, which my Peugeot mechanic told me means that just slamming the 1.6 hdi's intercooler inbetween the turbo and the engine in this car may have adverse effects.

The chiptuning guy told me that's nonsense, and intercoolers aren't normally bypassed in most engines.

Now my viewpoint is that if I can get a few extra HP out of the car, along with maybe better fuel efficiency on highways, for the price of a factory 1.6 intercooler and some conversion work (pipes, the plastic plate that blocks where the cooler should go, etc.), keeping the stock turbo, AND the car will still be able to start in the winter at minus 15 centigrade, then it's most likely worth my time & money.

I wonder if anyone did such a mod, and what the effects were. :) And if it sounds like a good idea on paper.

·
5,618 Posts
There is a bypass on the intercooler on the 1.6 HDI. It bypasses intercooler on cold starts to speed up engine warm up and during DPF regen to increase inlet air temp to raise exhaust temps to assist regeneration

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the insight. After having a look at 1.6 engine photos, it's pretty clear that there's a bypass valve, but I didn't really know what it was intended for - though cold start was high on my list of tips. :D

Anyway... I wonder what this means for the 1.4 engine that doesn't have the electronics to control a bypass valve (...or does it, lol?) getting an aftermarket intercooler. Would cold start become signficantly more problematic, and if it would have major adverse effects on DPF regen... (Though honestly, I don't even know if my car has a DPF or no. It's a 1.4 hdi from 2006 - before 2008 that is -, so it's possible that it doesn't... I heard all 1.6 hdi have DPF, but no mention of 1.4 hdi.)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Only issues you will really have is the turbo feeling like it has a bit more lag sometimes and the engine taking longer to warm up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
also would like to see how thia goes have a 1.4 hdi myself and have a front clip with intercooler but what do you do about intercooler and inlet piping I have a 1.6 hdi lump here to with 62000 miles did think about chucking that in but never done a swap like that and dunno what's involved

1 - 6 of 6 Posts