Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster and a bit of a novice, so please bear with me!
So, I was driving home in Tuesday night when my display flashed up "anti pollution faulty" and the engine management light came on - also, weirdly the fuel consumption indicator has risen from 174 miles to 224 miles available?! Car has also been a bit stuttery/jumpy for a few days, but thought nothing of it- maybe it's a different issue?
Get back and the cooling fan is on, so partner checks radiator water and it's below minimum...it was MOT'd in September and the coolant wasn't noted as being low (I've just rang the garage that did it for me and he said he would have noted it on the advisory if it was low).
So, we top it up, and leave it overnight. Yesterday morning I get in and the fan kicks in straight away, so I jumped out and walked! Spoke to the mechanic we use and he said it could be the "thermostat housing and sensor"? I posted on a different forum and got told it could be a head gasket, but I thought (and I may be wrong) that the car wouldn't start of the head gasket was gone?
I got told not to drive it incase I make it worse before the mechanic gets here to check it, but didn't know if you guys had any ideas or have come across this before?
Oh, it's an 09 plate, with 54,000 miles on.
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - bit of an update, mechanic has just been to check the car. He reved the engine and white smoke poured out of the exhaust, checked the oil cap and it was covered in white gunk, released the pressure in the radiator and the fan went off. Explained about how the HG is made up, with the Pistons, and said the water in mine is mixed with the oil, so it's burnt through (?)
Said he can replace the head gasket and do oil change for £375 but then mentioned a liquid sealant called Steel seal? Has anybody heard of it at all? He said he'll run it through and it will 'fix' it. Said if it doesn't work, he'll deduct the price of it (£125) off the price of a new gasket so I don't lose out. What do you think? Worth it or shall I just go straight for the head gasket? Thank you all :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had exactly same a few weeks ago,juddering,anti-pollution fault,fan running all time.Ended up being a new set of spark plugs.:thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both - maybe it's spark plugs as well, I don't know, but there was definite white gunk in the oil cap, which even I know isn't good!
I would try it myself, but I don't have the first clue how to go about it, was really wondering if it's worth it, or if I should go straight for the gasket...I need to be able to trust the car as the children are in it daily.

·
Registered
870 Posts
guess its a k-seal type of thing which i have used in the past, a bit hit and miss , can last a month or many years.
works ok for coolant into oil or leaking out of block but no good for gasses into coolant or oil into coolant i have found.

i would go for HG repair if the car is decent, seems a fair price as you will have a new cambelt also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess its a k-seal type of thing which i have used in the past, a bit hit and miss , can last a month or many years.
works ok for coolant into oil or leaking out of block but no good for gasses into coolant or oil into coolant i have found.

i would go for HG repair if the car is decent, seems a fair price as you will have a new cambelt also.
Thanks, it is water in the oil in this case, but I'm reluctant if it's only a 'short' term fix. Just spoken to mechanic again and mine is a chain, so wouldn't that be changed? Sorry, I literally know nothing about cars unfortunately.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i know what your saying, can be fine and decide to give when your on your holidays hundreds of miles from home in a year or so, but you could keep a spare bottle to put in for emergency.

would let your mechanic check the chain and tensioner, but if engine runs fine and no cold rattle noise it may be ok for a time although seems many are past their best by 70k or so, comes down to money in the end.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
My opinion for what it's worth is that these 'miracle' cures are a bit like the old snake oil remedies that got peddled way back when. At best they are good for a quick fix to keep it going for a short time until you can arrange a proper permanent fix and at worst they do absolutely nothing and turn out to be a waste of money. Yes the quick fix could last quite some time but you could bank on it giving up at the worst possible moment as stripe88 has already said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both - the mechanic we use has just been and picked up my car. I decided not to go with the 'quick fix' as like I said, I need to trust the car not to fail on me at any given moment, especially with the children in there, so he's taken it away to do the head gasket, plus £375 didn't seem a bad price to me?
He did let me know it made it back to his house ok, with no problems, so that's always good.
Hopefully it'll be as good as new in a few days.
Stripe - I think it was you that mentioned the cambelt/chain - are these prone to cause issues too then? I've had this car since it was 10 months old, and this is the first thing that's broken, so pretty good going so far!

·
Registered
870 Posts
more so on the turbo version, but had to change the chain on daughters (1.6vti) as the original plastic chain guides decided to start snapping somwhere around 70k, oh and the chain tensioner had very little tension left....mabey that was why the guide broke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just spoken to mechanic, he said he's found the root cause of the water loss - the water pump was leaking...so if I'd have noticed that earlier, would I have saved myself a head gasket replacement, or would that have happened anyway?

·
Registered
202 Posts
if it has overheated and damaged the head gasket due to the water loss then yes it could have been prevented.

however head gaskets can go at any time and not for any specific reason, as with any car things just fail when the car gets older and accumulates miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh dear, so I could 'possibly' have saved myself some cash then.

Now, the mechanic has just dropped off the car, and said on his way back with it, the engine management light came on, then went off again, said if it does it tomorrow, I'm to ring him and he'll come straight out and plug it in to his laptop, but any ideas why it would do this?
It's had a new head gasket, an oil change, new water pump, and coolant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts