Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car has been running really well lately until this mornng when it started up as normal but i only managed to get 200 yards down the road and i lost power and engine cut out , i checked obvious water oil etc all fine tried to start engine it started 1st time but was mis timimg and really thick white smoke / steam was coming out of exhaust any ideas ?

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked the oil dip stick the oil filler cap no sign of contamination water hasnt dropped , started car 1st thing and there was no sign of steam / exhasut gases left car running for a good 10 mins sounded fine still no gases no overheating even when dipping throttle no extreme signs of steam so i decided to give it a go up the road .....
as soon as i tried to pull off the engine started to struggle and out it came plumes of white thick steam / smoke so took it out of gear steam stopped pressed throttle no steam no overheating no miss firing .... it only pors out steam as you attempt to drive off ....
so i called the recovery took it to garage and after 4 hrs of waiting for there diagnoses they phoned and told me that the air filter was soaking wet and that water had been sucked up the inlet cause driving through standing water ..... i was miffed as i havnt driven the car out in the wet for weeks .. to cause the water to be sucked up into filter puddle would have had to have been over a foot deep .... so i went to garage the filter was soaking wet the unit was almost full to the top with water ...... the dip stick was now showing milkshake consistancy when it left me it was perfectly clean oil the car is still in warranty with garage but i am afraid they are trying to tuck me up by saying they are not liable for water entering filter and by doing so they are not liable to pay for any repairs / damage to the engine ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.