Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is my 1st post

my wife inherited a 1998 pugeot 206 1.4i (1361cc) with A/c and auto box.

There is an oil leak from somewher on the front of the motor and there is a bit if oil contamination in the coolant (but no foam).

Does anyone know it this motor has an oil cooler?
hopefully if does, if not, maybe head gasket....
:confused:

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi, this is my 1st post

my wife inherited a 1998 pugeot 206 1.4i (1361cc) with A/c and auto box.

There is an oil leak from somewher on the front of the motor and there is a bit if oil contamination in the coolant (but no foam).

Does anyone know it this motor has an oil cooler?
hopefully if does, if not, maybe head gasket....
:confused:

thanks in advance.
I'd still be looking at head gasket as the most likely culprit. Have you checked around the head to see if there's any obvious seepage? Or is it a mystery leak? I assume by leak you mean it's dropping oil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like head gasket, can anyone point me to a write up for a 206?

weeping around head, looks like head gasket.

can anyone point me to a head gasket procedure write up for a 206? (I never worked on peugeot before)

how hard is it (auto transmission and A/C)

·
Registered
49 Posts
weeping around head, looks like head gasket.

can anyone point me to a head gasket procedure write up for a 206? (I never worked on peugeot before)

how hard is it (auto transmission and A/C)

1.4 petrol or diesel? I have a Haynes which seems to be pretty in depth. Maybe someone else had a service manual or link? I bet there's loads of great visual aids on YouTube too

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1.4 petrol.
it would be great if you could post pictures of the section in the relevant haynes manual on here (if thats allowed?)
I did find this on youtube but it would be nice to have some bits of paper beside the car while Im doing it.

cheers.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Haynes manuals dont really tell you much anyway the engine is a TU series engine very easy to do a head gasket on BUT it is a wet liner engine so if you dont understand what that means you need to do some reading BEFORE removing head.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haynes manuals dont really tell you much anyway the engine is a TU series engine very easy to do a head gasket on BUT it is a wet liner engine so if you dont understand what that means you need to do some reading BEFORE removing head.
They're a good starting point for £10!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're a good starting point for £10!
agreed, Haynes have helped me much over the years.
ok, I read about the differences between wet and dry cylinders, but I don't understand why it makes any difference for doing a head gasket? ok, don't turn crank to mess up cylinders, but what else?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You need to read more then :)

If the liners are moved with the head off the bottom seals can be damaged leading to oil and water mixing from the bottom of the liners !

You also need to check protrusion of liners is within tolerances or new gasket can fail again i tend to just swap the whole engine to avoid the headaches

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cylinder liner protrusion

You also need to check protrusion of liners is within tolerances
check protrusion with vernier calipers?
do you mean how far they stick up above the surface of the block?

any idea what the maximum protrusion is?

and if its too far, can I tap it with a mallet to reduce it?:D

·
Registered
49 Posts

If the liners are moved with the head off the bottom seals can be damaged leading to oil and water mixing from the bottom of the liners !

You also need to check protrusion of liners is within tolerances or new gasket can fail again i tend to just swap the whole engine to avoid the headaches
The Haynes manual covers this in slightly more detail than what you wrote, not bad for a tenner.... ;)

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im not going to write an essay word for word how to do the job !!!!!

I just highlighted the main pitfalls and why its important to know what your doing.

Haynes manuals do not go into depth on many subjects they used to 30 years ago not nowadays they are pretty basic but to be honest this is not a hard head to swap and if you need a manual to do it then it may not be the best engine to begin with.

I rebuild engines regularly and i dont need a manual to do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coolant fan jumpering?

ok, heres the deal, I gotta get the car home before I can do the head. Since its been driven regularly I *hope* it makes it. Im taking the train to collect it tomorrow. then approx 700km of motorway driving to get it home. The weather forcast is for 37C heat for the next few days but at least Ill be on the motorway (hopefully no tailbacks).

Now Ive got the impression these motors fail a lot on head gasket. Is this just poor design or due to cooling fan failing?

Ive not had a chance to check the fan and ill have minimal tools with me, so Im wondering if there is a quick and dirty way to wire the fan on high for the whole trip?

I know I could turn the heater on to cool it but I reallly, really dont wanna have to do that...:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im not going to write an essay word for word how to do the job !!!!!

I rebuild engines regularly and i dont need a manual to do it.
Ive no doubt you know far more than me! I just see a lot of hate on modern Haynes, and sometimes rightly so. But it's good for something!

Also I know the 206 has a common fault with the fan relays failing due to water ingress, perhaps leading to common cyclinder head issues as a result of overheating?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heres my 2c on the haynes, from my non-prefessional, mechanic of necessity, perspective: :broke:

positive: a Haynes manual often helped me when I didn't have a clue where to start or if I got stuck on something (pre-internet days).

negative: I found it often tells you to do things which you later find out were unecessary (I presume this is due to the whole car teardown nature of the haynes manual creation procedure).

On the whole though, its a hell of a lot better than nothing for a mecahincal dummy like me.

Now, if the nice person with a haynes on the 206 can tell me where the fan relay is located and its pinouts, I'd be very happy!:thumb:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't you get a repair manual off servicebox? Costs a few euro's but it does have a much better step by step instructions for things like this. Tells you exactly how to do things like this and torque figures etc.

Only downside is the work might be more involved as it's manufacturer replacement so they fix it with the idea that it will never go wrong again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't you get a repair manual off servicebox? Costs a few euro's but it does have a much better step by step instructions for things like this. Tells you exactly how to do things like this and torque figures etc.

Only downside is the work might be more involved as it's manufacturer replacement so they fix it with the idea that it will never go wrong again.
ok, thanks for that but I never heard of servicebox? what is it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts