Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil light came on yesterday on the wife's 206, when we checked the coolants everything was fine. I have noticed that the "Oil Guage Level" is fluctuating between nothing, or 1, or 2 bars from a cold start, but the oil level is full.

When driving the temperatue is between 80 & 90 which is higher than normal and it does go up and down.

Would a service sort this out or is it more that?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
862 Posts
babbelquack said:
The oil light came on yesterday on the wife's 206, when we checked the coolants everything was fine. I have noticed that the "Oil Guage Level" is fluctuating between nothing, or 1, or 2 bars from a cold start, but the oil level is full.

When driving the temperatue is between 80 & 90 which is higher than normal and it does go up and down.

Would a service sort this out or is it more that?

Any help would be appreciated.

When was the car last serviced? Is there any gunk on the oil filler cap i.e. white mayonnaise looking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the moose said:
When was the car last serviced? Is there any gunk on the oil filler cap i.e. white mayonnaise looking.
She bought the car last January, but only does about 3-4000 per year, we were told it was serviced with the new MOT. Yes it does look "creamy" under the oil cap.

What does that mean?

·
Registered
862 Posts
babbelquack said:
She bought the car last January, but only does about 3-4000 per year, we were told it was serviced with the new MOT. Yes it does look "creamy" under the oil cap.

What does that mean?

It means water is getting in somewhere,you should check your cylinder head and cylinder head gasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the moose said:
It means water is getting in somewhere,you should check your cylinder head and cylinder head gasket.
Thanks for the help

This sounds like ££££££ to me, am I right?

·
Registered
862 Posts
babbelquack said:
Thanks for the help

This sounds like ££££££ to me, am I right?

possibly, if its the gasket should nt br to bad. The cylinder head on the other hand???? you can get re-conditioned ones though.Have the head pressure tested that shoul pinpoint where the problem lies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the moose said:
possibly, if its the gasket should nt br to bad. The cylinder head on the other hand???? you can get re-conditioned ones though.Have the head pressure tested that shoul pinpoint where the problem lies.
Seeing as I'll be taking it to the dealer, what's the best stratergy, tell them what I think's wrong or say the temps not right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
babbelquack said:
Seeing as I'll be taking it to the dealer, what's the best stratergy, tell them what I think's wrong or say the temps not right?

tell them the temps not right first, u dont want to sound unsure by telling them what u think is wrong and they try to pull u in to fix it when really maybe its ok

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pokershark said:
tell them the temps not right first, u dont want to sound unsure by telling them what u think is wrong and they try to pull u in to fix it when really maybe its ok
Cheers everybody for all your help, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called 1 dealer who said it would be £43 to stick on the machine or £53 for an hours labour for a mechanic to look at it (£53 an hour, it's fixing cars not life saving surgery!! :nono: )

Called another dealer who said if it needed a new gasket it would be £381 more if the head needed skimming.

In the end took it to a local garage (wife's cousin works in the sprayshop) he said it looked like it needed a good service and an engine flush. He said it was condensation in the oil, got it back but the temp still seems high for me. It runs at about 85-90 degrees, whereas my 307 runs at about 75-78 degrees.

He's going to have a look tomorrow.

What should the average running temp be for the 206?

·
Registered
862 Posts
babbelquack said:
Called 1 dealer who said it would be £43 to stick on the machine or £53 for an hours labour for a mechanic to look at it (£53 an hour, it's fixing cars not life saving surgery!! :nono: )

Called another dealer who said if it needed a new gasket it would be £381 more if the head needed skimming.

In the end took it to a local garage (wife's cousin works in the sprayshop) he said it looked like it needed a good service and an engine flush. He said it was condensation in the oil, got it back but the temp still seems high for me. It runs at about 85-90 degrees, whereas my 307 runs at about 75-78 degrees.

He's going to have a look tomorrow.

What should the average running temp be for the 206?

that temperature sounds about right to me. 85-95 is ok. £53 an hour?!? am in the wrong job. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts