Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have searched the forum and can not seem to find a definitive answer to this problem other than the suggestion of resetting the BSI.

If anyone else has gone through this and found a solution please let me know

The story :

Earlier today put some items in the boot ready for tomorrow left the car unlocked, went in the house to get a drink and check that I had loaded everything I needed.
Approximately 10 mins later went out to lock the car, pushed the lock on the remote and heard the locks engage and the turn signals flash then immediately unlock again.

Tried again with exactly the same result, all the door buttons were up so I tried to open the tailgate but nothing happened, I could hear the microswitch operate but the electric lock release did not operate.
I then tried the rear tailgate window with exactly the same result as the tailgate, I could hear the microswitch operate but the electric lock release did not operate..

I then started the car and it started and ran fine all systems appear to operate as far as I can see.

Switched engine off got out of the car and again tried to lock it, as before car locked and then unlocked its self again

Tailgate and tailgate glass still will not open.

any suggestions gratefully received

·
Registered
338 Posts
could the wiring between body and tailgate be damaged - try pulling the rubber boot back to check or open the tailgate and push the catch in - then you can waggle the wiring and check the locking/unlocking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could the wiring between body and tailgate be damaged - try pulling the rubber boot back to check or open the tailgate and push the catch in - then you can waggle the wiring and check the locking/unlocking
Hi Dave

Thanks for the input and I can see how that could be the cause however at present it is not possible to open the tailgate at all to inspect the wiring do you know how to open the tailgate when both the tailgate and tailgate glass switches are not operating.

I have looked from the inside as there were several video's on line for other Peugeot's showing a small hole in the plastic cover over the lock that a screwdriver could be pushed into to release the lock, .however on the 206 SW the lock can not be seen from inside the tailgate as it appears to be below the floor level

·
Registered
338 Posts
on some cars it's clear with a cutout or ready to pierce hole. Can you ask the owner of a similar car, garage forecourt or main dealer for help. It should there somewhere! Maybe the handbook would help or someone on this forum??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I contacted the local Peugeot dealer and they could not have been less helpful, no interest at all in helping a owner of a 20 year old Peugeot and it was pointed out to me that they are only obligated to provide spares and back up on a vehicle for 10 years. there is no one locally with one for sale and the hand book makes no mention of how to open a tailgate that will not open.

So I made the decision to try and get to the lock, I climbed in the back of the load area and removed the 4 Torx screws that hold the plastic sill cover to the floor of the car, this required a small 1/4 drive ratchet with a Torx bit fitted as you have to be at an angle because the tailgate trim is in the way.

Once these four screws and the the two luggage "D" rings are removed it is then possible to remove the luggage carpet once you have pulled it from the two pockets next to the the tailgate, with the carpet out of the way although you can not remove the plastic trim as it is anchored by the tailgate lock, you can hold it up and see the two Torx screws that hold the lock plate to the boot floor.

I used the same small ratchet with a suitable Torx bit fitted to remove the screws, access is very limited and there is only just enough clearance to get the ratchet in, it would not be possible with a standard Torx socket type bit or a Torx screwdriver (I will attach a photo of the ratchet) as you will notice from the photo the ratchet has a socket to take Torx inserts which makes removal of the two Torx screws possible, with these two Torx head machine screws removed it is possible to gently lift the tailgate, the plastic trim will come with it along with the hoop lock plate, needless to say there is no hole in the actual lock cover for the insertion of a small screwdriver to open the lock, presumably as you would not be able to access it even if it was present.
Tool Bicycle part Font Bicycle drivetrain part Composite material

At least I can now try to locate the source of the problem now the tailgate is open.

I hope this helps someone else who has the non opening tailgate on a SW

I will update when I have traced the fault
Tool Bicycle part Font Bicycle drivetrain part Composite material

1 - 6 of 6 Posts