Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
1999 206 hatch.

Just before MOT time - I was doing the usual check everything for stupid reasons to fail, and found my drivers rear tail light is out. Indicators work, but brake light doesn't either.

They are the LED type, and I noticed recently that there is condensation inside the "sealed" cluster.

A couple of questions -
How do you test these LED lights - there is a plug with 5 pins on the light.
Can the older traditional bulb type be fitted instead ?
Any other reasons for the RH light to be out - but not the left ?
Any way to remove condensation or repair the sealed unit ?
Thanks in advance.

G

·
Sounds just like the LED's have failed possibly because of water in them? you can replace them with a normal bulb, think it should be a dual filament one (tail light/brake light in one)

And i dont think they will be sealed units? you can normally take the backoff them to gain access to all the bulbs etc, u can test the led's directly when you remove them, the 5 pin plug will be powering the entire cluster

I'd reccomend taking it off the car, drying/cleaning the condensation out of it then when fitting ensure it makes a proper seal with the car body

:thumb:

edit also check the bulb holder for corrosion, if theres is condensation then thats a possibility!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right - back again - and all sorted.

I made a mistake - they're not LED - they're standard bulbs:eek:

Thanks for the info that the light clusters do come apart.
I took them out, and just saw a fixing bolt, the plug - and no bulb holders.

No, to change a rear lamp bulb, you need a 10mm deep socket (or tube spanner) in your kit of bulbs - unless you are supposed to undo it with your teeth :D

A note for others -
When testing the plugs for a supply, the three contacts are not the same on each side. On one side the tail lights are centre and outer pin, on the other side it is the centre and adjacent pin.:nono:

Inside was corroded - white fluff on all the metal areas , and severe rust under the lower (brake) bulb.
Bulbs are the different hight lugs type with twin fillament - 21/ 5W.

To match the different plugs, the bulb sockets are also different ways round.

I also found out where all the water was getting in. It was a location prong that goes through the backplate, but the seal foam stuff was non-existent.

Generous use of silicone sealant around this area should prevent it, along with a thin application on the sealing rubber gasket.

The contacts were scraped clean, then a HB pencil used on them. I found this works very well as the graphite coating provides a better conductor, while the clay in the pencil acts as an abrasive.
A thin application of vaseline on all corroded parts will also prevent it getting worse.
I've used these methods before in restoring 30yr old vehicles - and so far has only done good.

All repaired now, so was just bad connections in the light clusters.:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this a common problem

Hi Folks....

I'm guessing that the answer to this is yes, but just before I head out with my vaseline and pencil - is this a common fault on cars around this age ?

Mine's a 2002...

Cheers - Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Faulty Back Cluster

So I popped out with my vaseline and pencil and tried the above....

Exactly the same corrosion - mainly on that holder - I'd guess that - as being at the bottom of the group - if anything's going to get damp - then that's the one.

Well, it's saved the missus £60 anyway - though no sign of my payment yet - wasn't even asking for cash !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Harmful Dealers

Ha - but it's new to me and now, armed with my ForumPeugeotDealerRepellentSpray - I'm finding out what sort of expensive harm those little bug.ers have been doing to my wallet... coming up in the next episode... pollen filters and beyond !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum, so thanks to those who have posted here. I too have a similar problem with my right (driver’s side) rear cluster. This seems to have got water inside, and the connections are badly rusted. I have cleaned them up and almost all seem to work - the only exception is the brake light. This is the 21/5W bulb. Both filaments appear to be intact and show a closed circuit with a meter. Can anyone tell me what power each of the 5 cables on the connector is? I presume that the blue is the negative (earth), but which of the other 4 is which circuits (being indicator, lights, reversing and brakes)

Many thanks

Harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts