Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Peugeot 206 1.4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know this was asked before, but I got a 206 with a 1.4 petrol in it and I need the summary of most likely causes of it overheating. In my case, the engine overheats slowly while idling and pretty fast while driving. It seems as if the thermostat doesn't open even though it's a month or two old now. The fan doesn't engage, but when tested "artificially" (applied heat with a propane torch at the radiator, I know this is not a good idea but I had no other ideas of testing it) the fan kicks on just fine. Also, the water pump is doing it's job as it was spraying coolant everywhere when I forgot to tighten the thermostat. Other things I've noticed was that the upper radiator hose gets somewhat hot while the lower hose is barely even warm. And coolant starts leaking between 70-90 degrees Celsius. and above that it just starts boiling to the point it pushes the majority of coolant out of the reservoir. The reservoir and the cap are also new.

·
Registered
836 Posts
What happens if you remove the stat and run it without one? Have you tried flushing the radiator? Does water flow through it freely?

·
Registered
1999 Peugeot 206 1.4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing that but the thermostat seems to be one piece with it's housing on which is the upper radiator hose clamps to and I really don't want to break that until I get a replacement thermostat. Maybe I'll buy another one tomorrow, but I still wanna know what else could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
I would suspect the head gasket has failed internally & is pressurising the cooling system.

·
8,678 Posts
Possible still water pump impeller failure as the water could be boiling in the head due to lack of circulation and blowing water out of thermostat housing.

What happens with the heater on full with blower fan on. If heat from heater and temp drops it points to a blocked rad core if you have changed thermostat

·
Registered
1999 Peugeot 206 1.4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temp doesn't seem to drop while the heat is set to high. With the fan going at full blast, of course.

·
8,678 Posts
Does it blow hot

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 Peugeot 206 1.4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the problem. Took out the thermostat because I didn't really look in there the first time I unbolted the housing. The plastic that was holding the needle crumbled apart which I'm guessing why it kept overheating was because the spring kept the thermostat closed. After I removed the remains of the thermostat the engine was no longer overheating, but I do believe I've found the problem a bit too late as there's white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts