Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1.4Hdi 206. Occasionally it just doesn't start (probably 10% of the time and it's not even trying to turn over). All the lights come on etc and if I just keep trying over and over it "usually" starts eventually. I've seen postings that refer to fluid levels etc all being correct and I keep them all spot on. I've also done a once over of electrical connections (battery/earth etc) and it all seems okay. I've been thinking immobiliser so checked the connections around the "collar" with the sensor in that reads the key chip (all okay). Having said that I've been able to bump start twice, would that rule out the immobiliser causing the problem?
I'm running out of ideas now, but trying to avoid placing in it the hands of my local pig repairer as they wanted to change the collar thing for £70 first to see if that fixed it! I could see a long list of "changing to see if it fixes it" type visits costing me a fortune!

Does anyone have any idease of what I could check/try please??

·
Registered
862 Posts
pigdriver said:
I have a 2002 1.4Hdi 206. Occasionally it just doesn't start (probably 10% of the time and it's not even trying to turn over). All the lights come on etc and if I just keep trying over and over it "usually" starts eventually. I've seen postings that refer to fluid levels etc all being correct and I keep them all spot on. I've also done a once over of electrical connections (battery/earth etc) and it all seems okay. I've been thinking immobiliser so checked the connections around the "collar" with the sensor in that reads the key chip (all okay). Having said that I've been able to bump start twice, would that rule out the immobiliser causing the problem?
I'm running out of ideas now, but trying to avoid placing in it the hands of my local pig repairer as they wanted to change the collar thing for £70 first to see if that fixed it! I could see a long list of "changing to see if it fixes it" type visits costing me a fortune!

Does anyone have any idease of what I could check/try please??
Hi there and welcome to the forum :thumb:

I take it that the battery and alternator are all ok? It will tick over if its the immobiliser,its the immobiliser that prevents it from starting.Try locking and un-locking it a few times or disconnect the battery for about 20 mins see if that helps.
There is a battery negative lead that connects to the gearbox check it hasnt corroded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for the response.
I've tried the locking/unlocking previously to no avail and I had already checked the earth connection. I don't know about the alternator! I did disconnect the battery as part of my "checks"

It didn't start again this morning, but was fine yesterday. (had to take the Landrover instead!) Once started it's always fine and usually starts for a day or two after, then when sensing your in a rush, won't start!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same symptoms in our 1.9D 206.
Checked everything out and then an old mechanic said it could be down to fuel entering the cylinder after ignition off. This would cause hydrostatic lock in the cylinder and stop the unit turning over. It would seem like the battery is defective as the starter will just click and not turn over at all.
He said the best thing to do, if you can, is rock back and forth in gear to see if you can get the exhaust valve to open to release the pressure.
Apart from that he never said what the remedy might be.
Could be the timing? I dunno, I have to confess to being a petrol head and not knowing a lot about the D engine.

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts