Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post :).

My sis in law has a 206 1.4 petrol, she it sounds quite loud almost tractory, has done for a while now.

She has just a couple of days ago had a complete new exhaust system fitted except the rear box which is a year or so old. However it still sounds tractory.

On her last MOT the mech "told" her he had to replace the plugs as they were no good so she could pass the emissions??. The guy that fitted the exhaust has commented that it sounds like the car is misfiring a bit also.

Now she popped round to me today and i had a listen to the engine with the bonnet up which to be honest sounds ok, maybe a little tappety, even when i manually revved it via throttle it seemed fine no obvious mis fire, it also sits at idle fine no wobbling or cutting out. She also says it drives ok with no obvious power loss.

So i'm thinking to check plugs and airfilter as i don't trust some mechs with their "i did this etc" especially where my poor sis in law is involved as she isn't very clued up mech wise.

Are there any views or ideas etc as to what is causing the noise and indeed if there is a misfire etc.

All info gratefully taken onboard.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok then.........

I replaced the air filter as it was really bad

I cleaned the throttle with carb cleaner

Checked all the plugs which all had carbon/sooty deposits,cleaned them up

Power steering fluid was very low so i topped that up

oil level is ok

Added a dose of Redex Injector cleaner as well

Now....

the engine does seem to have a very faint misfire.....maybe, just a little. Is that coil pack beginning to go?

There is also a whirring/grinding noise from the engine that completely disappears when i push the clutch pedal down, also to "me" i reckon the clutch bite point is quite high as well. Now could this noise be due to the PAS system having a low fluid level and caused some fault to the pump or is it more likely to be clutch related?

Any help please?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've a 206 1.1i, but - as i'm finding out, there really are too many sensors that can go faulty :nono:

I can say with a bit of certainty that it is not the coilpack. the 1.4 &1.1 is the same as the 106, and faults usually happen at the high-end of the revs with an obvious missfire that ends up with a very wobbly engine. Best get this sorted as soon as it's discovered - as mine sent a high voltage spike back to the ECU and blew it's brains out :mad:

The simplest check of all is to count your MPG.
With the 206 - wait untill you get a low fuel light - then press the trip counter to zero it. - go fill up exactly 10 litres. When you get the low fuel light again, note what's on the trip.
You will get at least 16 miles without running out of fuel with a fuel light on, so don't worry too much.
You should be getting more than 10 mpL - more like 30.

It really sounds like the engine is running rich (sooty plugs) - which will eventually block the cat.
This is usually because the engine is running in "open loop" control - and runs like it's on full choke. It will behave fine untill warm - then start acting up with poor MPG.
Any one of around 6 sensors can be faulty to cause this. Most can be checked with a meter.
Word of warning about checking the O2 sensor - 4 wires - 2 are a heater, the other 2 only PRODUCE around 1v - DO NOT USE OHMS SCALE TO CHECK IT - you'll break it. - research on the net how to check it.

Other reasons are a faulty MAP sensor (manifold air pressure), or a good old fashioned air leak in hoses. chack also air temp sensor.

You may have to resort to a dealer - plug-in to identify the fault.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts