Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had a fault on my 1999 206 1.1i petrol - and it seems I'm not alone.
I did a little research and found others had suffered the same fate.

Symptoms -
Sudden loss of power - engine stop, all warning lights on - rapid decelleration (engine braking) Loss of power steering - heavy steering, loss of braking assist - heavy braking required.

As you can imagine - if you were on a busy motorway (as one person was) and had traffic inside of you, you are about as good as dead in poor weather.

I was lucky. I was only on a country lane - but still caused a massive tailback.

Something else you may like to try - is how long your hazard lights actually work for, after you have tried to start your engine for 5 minutes. - Mine lasted less than 10 minutes after that, So I was a dead duck on a bendy country lane with no lights - great :mad:

It got towed to a near garage - who checked the loom, and replaced MAP sensor - still no good. Off to Peugeot stealers, who said it needed a new Coilpack and ECU - re-programming of keys and all the cash that goes with it.

As an engineer - I am guessing that one of the coils broke down - and instead of going to an earth, went to the ECU input instead - sending a high voltage spark into the ECU and blowing it's brain out.

After I was quoted over £1400 for repairs at Peugeot, I let a local garage handle it After buying a second-hand coilpack from Ebay. The ECU was a re-con one, so this cost around £450 in total.

So it seems that the Pug ECU is shielded apart from the outputs. In an attempt to prevent the problem again, I've added a ferrite clip-on bead from a playstation to the leads from the coilpack, so should supress high voltages or at least RF.

·
Registered
239 Posts
wow that sounds bad and expensive from pug dealers,

I had a similar issue with my Saab 9-5 a while back ( got rid of it bloody expensive repair item ) the DI cassette £300 from the dealer does all the plugs and a single unit so if it went as mine did the replacement is expensive but it was a recall so it was replaced free:) but advised to carry a spare one because it was common for it to fail leaving you dead in the water so to say and that's why its history:mad:,

spark plugs were an issue as they are with most new cars you cant just throw anything in there they have to be resistor type otherwise they blow the DI cassette ( coil pack as it really is without the fancy name ),

check for any recalls is my advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have power loss all the time... the car runs perfectly for weeks then just decides to cut out when driving and you have to quickly turn the key back and forth to regain power steering, braking assist etc! apart from that the 206 runs smoothly

tommyd206 :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar problem

my engine diagnostics light came on at the worst possible time on the motorway during a 4-hour long drive. i didn't really have much of a choice but to just keep driving as i was in the middle of nowhere and i had a good 3 hours left to go. i got home fine and i never heard/felt anything wrong with the car for the rest of journey, but the light's still on :confused: this light came on before and i took the car to kwik fit and the mechanic told me that it was the Catalytic converter and that it would need replaced, but i didn't have the money to get it fixed at the time so he turned the light off and said that i should be fine to continue running the car, however, it would need fixed for the MOT.

i'm in two minds whether to:

1. pay the money to get it looked at and be told the same as before
or
2. continue as i am and wait till i experience any actual problems because the car went through that 4-hour journey from dingwall to paisley with the light on and was fine. so i'm thinking that if there was any major problem then i would've found out during that drive.

suggestions?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
from what i have learnt in the past, some faults can pop up and say catalystic converter fault...find someone with planet (not the cheap crap they do at kwik-fit, nationwide and others) so instead of paying aload for a new cat, and it may not fix it, it could be something free and simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey ppl
reading your threads bt the power loss issue and am presently experiencing the same,
however my 180 is just not bootin as she usually does...its as if shes bieng gaffled, shes not cutting out or flashing her dash just loosing her bite on random occassions....my query 2 u guys is does that sound like the START of our shared fault/s or is this problem just RANDOM and if so specificly and solely linked 2 the coil earthing !!! :confused:

G

·
That's a bit alarmist - virtually any type of breakdown has the potential to make your day if you're on the motorway, half way through an overtake, being chased by the Sweeney etc. It's down to timing rather than the breakdown itself.

Heard plenty of coil pack failures on modern cars, their fair share on pugs, but this I'd the first on a 206 I've heard of that took an ECU with it - had a few Coxhauls on the ramp over the years with this. I can't see how a ferrite ring is going to help much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Catalyst

Yesterday my engine warning light came on and so I called the AA and they came and did diagnostics and said there was a catalytic fault. He said there was also the red stop sign flashing (which there wasn't earlier). He said it was unsafe to drive and they're towing it to my local garage tomorrow. So will see what the problem is!

I have read online that you can drive with a catalyst fault so i feel a bit put out having to wait for a tow! Does this sound normal?

G

·
Usually if mil or stop is flashing it means you'll do damage if you drive, if mil light is not flashing then it's ok to drive.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

1 - 14 of 14 Posts