Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've just had a new gearbox fitted to my 206 auto. I'm having a few problems with it and it would be very handy if I could record the speed, revs and gear.

I know I can get it to show the gear if I drop it into manual, but that means I have to keep switching.

It there any setting, hack ect that will allow it to show the gear when in auto rather than just D?

The problems are that it won't move through the gears when it should.
I have to be at at last 30 before it'll move into 3nd and around 40 before it'll move into 4th!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have a 206CC with the AL4 box. I don't know of such a hack. However, I have noticed that the behavior of the box changes according to how you drive. If you use a lot of "firm acceleration", it tends to change at higher revs, and if you go gently, the converse.

I have also found that using manual to make it change up earlier than it wants to (then changing back to D straight away) seems to encourage it to change earlier.

If none of that works for you, try using snow mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 206CC with the AL4 box. I don't know of such a hack. However, I have noticed that the behavior of the box changes according to how you drive. If you use a lot of "firm acceleration", it tends to change at higher revs, and if you go gently, the converse.

I have also found that using manual to make it change up earlier than it wants to (then changing back to D straight away) seems to encourage it to change earlier.

If none of that works for you, try using snow mode.

Yeah, but I'm driving the same as before and it's not running like it did with the old box?

Also the mpg has dropped through the floor. I was getting around 34mpg, now it's less than 20!!

I've tried all the modes, makes no difference. . .

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yes, mine does 34 as well. One possibility is that the software in the gearbox ECU is not matched to the new transmission. I believe that Peugeot dealers can update the software by download from Peugeot servers.

Another possibility is that the torque converter lockup is not operating. You should see a rev drop after being in 2nd for a bit, whilst still in 2nd, provided the acceleration is gentle. That is when the TC locks to prevent slip between input and output. TC lockup operates on 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Normally, it stays locked up from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th, and it has a pronounced effect on fuel consumption. The more I think about it, the more likely this scenario seems.

Idea: It may be that Peugeot Planet 2000 can monitor the gearbox as you drive, but you would need a "flight engineer" to operate it, and perhaps video it.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No software update needed it simply needs to be reset back to base map the ecus on these boxes do as ian says learn your driving style and it takes time for it to do that if the people who fitted the box did not reset auto adaption it will need doing if they did it will just need to be driven to relearn it can take a couple of hundred miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No software update needed it simply needs to be reset back to base map the ecus on these boxes do as ian says learn your driving style and it takes time for it to do that if the people who fitted the box did not reset auto adaption it will need doing if they did it will just need to be driven to relearn it can take a couple of hundred miles

Thanks for the replies so far.

When the new box was fitted the fitters took it to the main dealer to have the software loaded.

It's been back 4 times since and of those 4 it's been back to the main dealer twice more to have the software wiped and reloaded. It's still not right!

I've had problem with the old box where it needed to have the auto adaption wiped. But at that time it didn't drive like it is now??

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Software does not need loaded sounds like they may have done an update rather than reset adaptions i have fitted a few of these boxes over the years and resetting is usually all they need i think they have made matters worse with an update for the sake of updating !!

Or there is a fault with the valve body but before you go blaming the box is the ENGINE running ok as poorly running engines will affect the way an auto performs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Software does not need loaded sounds like they may have done an update rather than reset adaptions i have fitted a few of these boxes over the years and resetting is usually all they need i think they have made matters worse with an update for the sake of updating !!

Or there is a fault with the valve body but before you go blaming the box is the ENGINE running ok as poorly running engines will affect the way an auto performs.

The car was MOT'd and had a full service 2 days before the box failed!

It was running perfectly before the new box. It's my wife's pride and joy and I spend far too much maintaining it!!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
That does not answer the question mot is irrelevant service is irrelevant running fine BEFORE box fitted is irrelevant is it running fine NOW is what i asked

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I think you need a long hard look at the TC lockup.

If it's any help, mine, when locked-up in 2nd, does 30 mph at approx. 2950 rpm.

If yours is doing something like 3150 at 30, the lockup is highly likely to be the cause.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Was a NEW gearbox fitted or a second-hand/refurbished one?

Correct oil used? [VERY important]. Oil level PROPERLY checked? These gearboxes do not play nicely if the incorrect oil is used and level is not spot on.

And, as reliable says, if the motor is not performing properly, it will greatly affect the gearbox performance as the 2 ECU's are linked and the gearbox responds to the what the engine is doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does not answer the question mot is irrelevant service is irrelevant running fine BEFORE box fitted is irrelevant is it running fine NOW is what i asked
Sorry. Yes, it's running fine. No odd sounds, no misfires. It's fully maintained and if anythings ever wrong it gets fixed there and then.
Since the new box I have noticed it's sometimes a bit ragged at changing down a gear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you need a long hard look at the TC lockup.

If it's any help, mine, when locked-up in 2nd, does 30 mph at approx. 2950 rpm.

If yours is doing something like 3150 at 30, the lockup is highly likely to be the cause.
Sounds like that's it.

It'll be around 3000 at 30 before it'll change up to 3rd. And about the same rev's and maybe 39/40 before it'll move into 4th.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts