Peugeot Forums banner

206 air bag light

306K views 109 replies 49 participants last post by  gencho81 
#1 · (Edited)
It is a common Peugeot problem. There is a connection under the drivers
seat where the Seat Belt Pretensioner is linked in. This connection needs
re-doing. You might get away with cleaning and reconnecting it . If it goes under warranty then Pug will take care of it . If you
have a passenger airbag there will be a similar connection under the
passenger seat. :thumb:

#5 ·
Hi,

I am just about to buy a 2001 peugeot which is still under warranty which has the same problem though when the owner tried to get it fixed the light fixed there didn't seem to be a problem. The light comes on occasionally so am wondering whether to extend the warranty to try and get it fixed again. Does anyone know how much it would be to get it this problem fixed ordinarily? If it's cheap enough I won't bother with the warranty.

#6 ·
the moose said:
It is a common Peugeot problem. There is a connection under the drivers
seat where the Seat Belt Pretensioner is linked in. This connection needs
re-doing. You might get away with cleaning and reconnecting it . If it goes under warranty then Pug will take care of it . If you
have a passenger airbag there will be a similar connection under the
passenger seat. :thumb:

:nono: This problem has been common from 1997 on in most Peugeot and Citroen models. Attributed to the crappy connectors on the wiring loom below the seats to the pretensioners for both front s/belts. Yet it still continues to rear its ugly head over 12years on :nono:

#10 ·
Comm 2000 is the indicator and wiper assembly behind steering wheel , if garage turned the centre of the comm there is a chance the airbag ribbon is damaged meaning new comm (£260) or it could be the connections under the drivers seat (remove and solder £0.00)
would try connections first cheaper.

ps. if you can get someone to put it on diagnostics it would help.

#22 · (Edited)
Our 206 CC, 2002 alerts after about 2 minutes drive. Is this also in line with bad connector under seat?

The problem we have started after bad 12 volt earthing (-) from battery. I would suspect old alarms if not cleared. (In this incident the engine alarms needed to be cleared since engine was almost not working. After clearing it was ok - but maybe there are other "alarms" to clear?). If bad connector in Peugeot will airbag light be cleared without using diagnostic tools to clear?

[ In BMW the "alarm" need to be cleared after airbag fix. BMW also have an emergency program if sensors detect to many problems. I think something similar happened in above incident with earthing. ]

Thanks

#23 ·
Temparamental Air Bag Light

Hi,

As you can guess from the title i've got a temparamental air bag light. After reading through this thread, I thought i'd have a go at making sure the connections i could find, were tight. Nothing worked until, I took the cover off from underneath the steering wheel to get to where the wires come together. Obviously I had no clue which wires were which, so i basically gave them all a wiggle lol, and to my amazement the light went out :eek: :nod:

A day later it came back on, so it seems to me that I got a loose connection. I took some pictures, as I don't know which wire it is, and I was hoping someone could help me out...

The car is a peugeot 206 S 1.4 Petrol 2005

Attachments

#24 ·
Hi all,

When starting my car both of my airbag lights seem to come on in cold weather with an airbag fault and passenger airbag deactivation on the trip. Once the car has run for 1 minute a quick restart of the ignition seems to cure it until it is restarted in the cold again. Also when starting the central locking seems to activate itself but not lock.

I've yet to investigate my seat belt pre tensioners but will certainly look.

I was wondering if this could be down to a possible battery fault with the cold weather?

Regards, Lee

Peugeot 206, 2004, Quicksilver 1.4 16v

#26 ·
When starting my car both of my airbag lights seem to come on in cold weather with an airbag fault and passenger airbag deactivation on the trip. Once the car has run for 1 minute a quick restart of the ignition seems to cure it until it is restarted in the cold again.

I was wondering if this could be down to a possible battery fault with the cold
I've just had this and it was solved by a new battery. The giveaway was when the car wouldn't start one cold morning and I used a power pack to get going: the airbag light didn't come on for the first time in months. I assume that a battery on the way out may have insufficient current to keep all the electrics going happily, but running the engine for a minute may top it up enough so that on restarting the airbag light doesn't come on.

Ian

#25 ·
Can anyone help me as Im not a mechanic when it comes to cars. 5 months after buying my car the airbag light came on. I returned it to the garage under a warranty and after checking it they said the entire airbag unit had to be replaced at a cost of £500 to the garage. (yeah right)

the unit was changed according to the garage and all was well. 2 months later it came on again. Sod it! I said Im not paying £500 so I just left it and switched the airbags off. The warranty had expired.

However with the MOT new laws looming soon I need to get it fixed. I took the car to a Peugeot dealer in my home town who said it needed to be checked by a computer at a cost of around £60. I was told the peugeot test goes far deeper than your normal back street garage.?

I now find my car horn decides it will only work about once a week lol. At the moment it is not working.

Anyone have any idea's as to what is wrong. Should I be looking under the seats for some loose connection.

I dont fancy paying £60 for some guy to say "yes, the whole unit is faulty and that will be £500 +£60 please"

Whereabouts exactly under the seats are we talking about. Does the carpet need lifting and how big is the pretentioner unit itself.

If it justs needs a wipe and clean I can do that.

Help. lol:)

#27 ·
Unexpected Fix

Like most people on here I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to solder the wires under the drivers seat, having had the airbag light on for 6 months or so. Yesterday. I eventually got around to changing my key fob case and forgot about transferring the transponder chip.

I tried to start the car a few times to no avail before I realised what my mistake was. I then replaced the transponder, started the car then noticed.... NO Airbag Light.

I am pleased with the outcome but curious as to how this fault was cured. Any technicians out there that can shed any light on this, and there is another thing for people to attempt when tackling this annoying fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.