Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 206 has developed a problem over the last few weeks.
This ALWAYS occurs within about 3 minutes/1 mile of starting from cold. It must therefore be directly related to engine temperature.
1. The engine starts racing.
2. Then it chugs as if flooding and produces smoke from the exhaust (and a smell of drains! From the catalytic converter?)
3. If the car is in motion it usually drives through the problem after ten seconds or so.
4. This is the annoying and possibly dangerous bit - If I have to come to a halt as the problem starts the engine stalls, and takes quite a bit of persuading to start again - again as if flooded.
5. If I can pull in AS SOON AS the racing starts it goes through the processes described above, but usually does not stall.
6. After this the car is fine - unless I leave it long enough for the engine to get cold - and I have the problem all over again.

A Peugeot dealer has run the diagnostic check and found no problem.
(Just had new exhaust system - no improvement.)

I am not amused - and the wife is refusing to travel in it any more!
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
862 Posts
nigel said:
My 206 has developed a problem over the last few weeks.
This ALWAYS occurs within about 3 minutes/1 mile of starting from cold. It must therefore be directly related to engine temperature.
1. The engine starts racing.
2. Then it chugs as if flooding and produces smoke from the exhaust (and a smell of drains! From the catalytic converter?)
3. If the car is in motion it usually drives through the problem after ten seconds or so.
4. This is the annoying and possibly dangerous bit - If I have to come to a halt as the problem starts the engine stalls, and takes quite a bit of persuading to start again - again as if flooded.
5. If I can pull in AS SOON AS the racing starts it goes through the processes described above, but usually does not stall.
6. After this the car is fine - unless I leave it long enough for the engine to get cold - and I have the problem all over again.

A Peugeot dealer has run the diagnostic check and found no problem.
(Just had new exhaust system - no improvement.)

I am not amused - and the wife is refusing to travel in it any more!
Any help appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

1.Possible problem with the idle control valve.
2 & 4. It has been known for water to leak through the vents on the bonnet and drip right onto the first connection of the ecu,after a period of time this can cause the connection to oxidise leading to the symptoms you have described,doesnt need to be raining as the water will lie there for a period of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow them up.
The points listed all relate to the same problem. I numbered them just to separate the individual features of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts