Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, since yesterday my 55 plate 1.4 hdi 206 wont start, just getting clicking starter solenoid, so i got a jump off my 306 hdi and it started no probs. drove home started again as soon as i got home, but this morning wont start clicking solenoid. again jump started fine, so took battery off and charged it all day then put it in car and wont start same issue, so checked voltage with everything off (12v) checked voltage with ignition in on position and voltage went down to around 9.4 volts so something big is draining battery when ignition comes on, so ive removed all fuses one by one with ignition on and no significant change to voltages, i have noticed however that the voltage drain stops around 40 seconds after the key has been removed, or 40 seconds after the BSI has been activated (open door etc) after 30 seconds the interior lights dim (battery drain is still there) then 10 seconds later a relay clicks in the bsi module and the drain disappears. its too dark to see anything now so im done for the night but does anyone have any ideas as to where to look next.

I have got lexia / pplanet in the shed somewhere so i can fish that out if it will help me find the problem. could this be due to alternator diodes?

any help appreciated

- D

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I doubt the alternator, because afaik, it is always in circuit, not switched by the BSI.

I think all the services fed by the BSI are fused, so if it happens with all the fuses removed, it sounds like a BSI problem. You could try disconnecting the output connectors from the BSI one-by-one.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Sounds to me like the battery is simply at the end of it's life. The battery should ideally be reading around 13.4v with nothing turned on BUT the voltage reading isn't everything. If the battery cannot hold enough charge to supply high current it will drain rapidly. First thing to do would be to try a known good battery if one is available.

There is no way just turning the ignition on would drain a good battery from 12v to 9.4v immediately. It shows the battery can supply 12v at the minimal current required by a voltmeter but cannot supply 12v at the amps required when the ignition is on and powering all the ecu's, radio, dials, interior light etc. If you try to take more current out of a battery than it can supply then the voltage drops in an effort to supply the required current.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good point I will try and test the battery under load and then stick my good battery from the 306 on when it gets back. And let yous know! That exide battery is only 2 years old though from ecp it's still under warranty but I can't find the receipt anywhere.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
That's a good point I will try and test the battery under load and then stick my good battery from the 306 on when it gets back. And let yous know! That exide battery is only 2 years old though from ecp it's still under warranty but I can't find the receipt anywhere.
new things can fail too, if you cant find receipt then if you pain on car a statement should do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tested the car with another battery and all was good, load tested that battery and it was duff, so i took it back to Euro Car Parts with the debit card statements of the month I purchased it, but they would not accept it because they only had records going back to january 2013 and i purchased the battery in november 2012. the batery still had the original ecp product sticker on it with november 2012 on it but again they would not accept that of evidence of me having purchased it. I will try exide direct but dont think i will have much joy without the original purchase receipt.
so ive purchased a new bosch one at £70 to get me going again
This is my mothers car and i discovered it has awful steering jolt issues when accelerating and decelerating but I will start a new topic about that later.

thanks for all your help people.

-D

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Tested the car with another battery and all was good, load tested that battery and it was duff, so i took it back to Euro Car Parts with the debit card statements of the month I purchased it, but they would not accept it because they only had records going back to january 2013 and i purchased the battery in november 2012. the batery still had the original ecp product sticker on it with november 2012 on it but again they would not accept that of evidence of me having purchased it. I will try exide direct but dont think i will have much joy without the original purchase receipt.
This is my mothers car and i discovered it has awful steering jolt issues when accelerating and decelerating but I will start a new topic about that later.

-D
euro car parts are in breach of regulations then and i would be emailing the md if i was you here is his email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
nov 2012 to April 2016 is about 3.5 year So I would say the normal 2 or 3 year battery warranty is out A discharged battery is 11.4 volt a fully charged battery is around 12.4 under 11 volt usually is a dead cell

But £70 is not a bad price for a replacement

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it was a exide premium with 4 years warranty purchased for 46 quid 3.5 years ago ill email ecp md as suggested can't hurt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got no joy from ecp on returning the battery so purchased a new bosch one, and did a little research on to what could be causing the issue. I read it was probably suffering from stratification of the battery acid (basically the battery acid is at a higher concentration at the bottom of the cells than the top) to remedy the website suggested resting the battery for a few days, tipping it a few times to evenly distribute the acid and then to give it a short 1 -2 hour charge at 16 volts in a well ventilated area. then give it a normal charge, I did this using safety precautions and it seems to have rectified the issues for now ill be testing it over the coming weeks so will update if it was permanent.

It also mentioned that the battery stratification was probably caused by too many short journeys in traffic in which the battery was not getting proper charge before the end of the journey, which would make sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts

-D
small claims court online

1 - 12 of 12 Posts