Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post & first question.

Our 206 1.1ltr has a problem where the serpentine belt runs 1-grove over on the power steering pully. If I move it back, it will simply slip back to be it's preferred position.

It has destroyed 1 belt, which I've replaced. However the new belt also runs 1-grove over too.

As far as I can see, all the pulleys and tensioner are in line. There is no movement (sideways) in the tensioner, but I can only assume it is something here that causes the belt to run to oneside on the top pulley.

Any ideas (is this a common fault)..?

cheers

simon

·
Registered
862 Posts
couplands said:
Hi,

First post & first question.

Our 206 1.1ltr has a problem where the serpentine belt runs 1-grove over on the power steering pully. If I move it back, it will simply slip back to be it's preferred position.

It has destroyed 1 belt, which I've replaced. However the new belt also runs 1-grove over too.

As far as I can see, all the pulleys and tensioner are in line. There is no movement (sideways) in the tensioner, but I can only assume it is something here that causes the belt to run to oneside on the top pulley.

Any ideas (is this a common fault)..?

cheers

simon
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:
Is the power steering pulley looking worn? (obvious question i know) there is the ribbed belt tensioner and ribbed belt tensioner lower are they ok?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

The pulley & tensioners look just fine (the car has only done 25k miles).

I take it this isn't a common problem then..?

cheers

simon

·
Registered
862 Posts
If your car has only done 25k i am assuming it will still be under warranty,if it is get your local pug dealer to fix it. If all the pulleys and tensioners are ok cant think why its slipping over. The belt is a genuine peugeot part? The power steering pulley definatly has no play in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While it's only done 25k miles, it's an 03 reg, so past the warranty period.

I replaced with a genuine belt and while it was off I checked all the pulleys. As far as I could see they were all in line and not loose. I even tried to remove the top pulley but it was too tight so didnt go any further.

I've taken it to the local Peugeot dealer today, I didnt want to make it worse by my DIY efforts..!

cheers

simon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: dealer just called and said the power steering pulley has too much sideways play in it. It will require a complete new PS pump assembly to fix. Cost £320 inc labour.

As it's done a relatively low milage and I did report this fault previously when the car was in warranty (and it clearly wasn't fixed) I am going to speak with Peugeot Customer Service about getting it fixed. Has anybody had any luck with post warranty claims like this..?

cheers

simon

·
Registered
862 Posts
couplands said:
Update: dealer just called and said the power steering pulley has too much sideways play in it. It will require a complete new PS pump assembly to fix. Cost £320 inc labour.

As it's done a relatively low milage and I did report this fault previously when the car was in warranty (and it clearly wasn't fixed) I am going to speak with Peugeot Customer Service about getting it fixed. Has anybody had any luck with post warranty claims like this..?

cheers

simon
Will you be able to prove that you did inform peugeot of this problem whilst under warranty? Like all manafacturers PSA will deny everything and hope that either-
1. You pay up for the repair or
2. You just go away.

Good luck and fight the B******S all the way.
Peugeot Customer Contact Centre on 0845 200 1234 between 8.30am and 8.00pm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I collected the car and told them I was going to call PSA Customer Service (they gave me the number). I also have the previous service invoices for the 2 times I took the car in for the problem.

However, when I got the car home and opened the bonnet to look at the belt, it was running OK..!!!! How long it will stay like that I dont know, but I'm not sure what to do now.

Given the shag'n'hassle that a call to PSA CS will entail, I'm inclined to leave it until it has a terminal problem.

The cost of replacing the shredded belt was £20, so I may just live with it for a while.

cheers

simon

·
Registered
862 Posts
give it a few days and see if the belt stays in place,a call to customer service still might be worthwhile,just to let them know about the service you have received.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts