Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H reg 205GL 1.1. Has suddenly started failing to start randomly, when hot or cold. Then it will start as if nothing is wrong - sometimes immediately, sometimes after a wait. Once started, runs perfectly always, so I think it's electrical rather than fuel related? Is there a relay/circuit (perhaps) that has to work when cranking the engine?

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you turn the key, the fuel pump, starter motor, ht coil should be the main systems working.

To be fair its an H reg, its not surprising. I would personally look at obvious things before thinking electrical, like for example spark plugs. When were they last changed? Is the air filter clogged? Carb need a clean?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The really odd thing is that when it starts it starts so easily and well, and always once started never misses a beat. When it won't start (sometimes just when stopped to fill up fuel, say) it turns over fast enough (battery good), but never fires. They suddenly will start on the first compression stroke! Sometimes it won't start when cold. Yesterday I could not make it start even after 'fiddling' with every connection I could find associated wth ignition. I gave up and closed the bonnet. It then fired up and started immediately on the first compression stroke!

Is there a 'starter' circuit on these? It used to be the case that ignition coils would have an extra wire that went live when starting. I'm thinking maybe there's a relay somewhere that does this, and the relay has gone 'sticky'...

Haynes manual seems useless for this kind of thing :-(

Oh - and it's never fails to bump start when it fails to start on the starter - again suggesting there's something wrong when it's cranking.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it never fails to bump then the same circuits would still be in use wouldn't they? That would suggest maybe a problem with the starter, some teeth ground off? :S Or not enough voltage getting to it or something.

That is a weird one mate, if it is electrical, I would doubt it'll be a common fault, in which case you will kinda be on your own :S

G

·
Well, we really need to go back to basics - the problem will either be fuel, or electrical.

It's a simple design with no relays in the igntion system other than the starter solenoid, so that idea can be discounted. Best thing to do is carry a spare spark plug and next time it does it whip an ht lead off, plug in the spare plug, crank her over and see if you have a spark or not. If you do then the problem is on the fuel side. If you don't, then start thinking nacked HT leads, ignition amplifier, coil, summat like that.

Meanwhile, Roy is correct. Regardless of how recently it was last done (because it's not unknown for new components to be nacked straight from the box) give her a thorough service with all round new filters (including fuel), new plugs, HT leads, dissy and rotor (if your specific engine has them). It's a good thing to do anyway, and you could very well luck out and cure the problem. Pay attention to the simple stuff before getting Stephen Hawking in to sort it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
how long have you had the car for?????? because you could be flooding the enginge....

your not ment to use the throttle when starting a 205,

thats why it may start after a few moments, once fuel has settled again

G

·
True mikey, true. Never touch the throttle pedal on any car until the engine is up and running. It can cause some serious problems on injected cars as it confuses the ECU as to what the base throttle setting should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts