Peugeot Forums banner

2010 Diesel Peugeot 407 won't start, says on screen "Internal vehicle error. Interaction with the vehicle is not possible at the moment"

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Paul 613 
#1 ·
Hello.
My car won't start, it seems like the battery is flat as it cranks over slowly for a few seconds then stops all together, the battery is only 18 months old though.
I was wondering though if anyone knew what this message was that displays on the central display above the radio :
"Internal vehicle error. Interaction with the vehicle is not possible at the moment"
It only comes up for a split second then disappears, I had to film in on my phone and pause the video it to read it all, can't find anything on a google search.

#2 ·
HI ....I would get the battery voltage checked first..you may have a flat battery ...you will find a low voltage can show many errors...Has the car been used regulary ....let us know...ps welcome to the forum

#5 ·
Yes those readings would give you far too low cranking speed to start, the message is because the battery is to low to communicate with the ecu and as mentioned above once a battery goes bad or drops low all sorts of electrical errors will sound, also as mentioned above we could do with knowing weather your car is driven regularly or has been sitting around or lightly used as if the battery is dropping for no apparent reason then there will be an issue somewhere that is either draining the battery which in turn doesn’t give enough power to start or simply the battery is knackered.

#7 ·
Then it probably just needs a good charge overnight and all will be well. What I mean is by probably is you can’t always take it that the battery is ok until you have proved it, when you take the battery off to charge follow the 3 minute rule which you will find by typing exactly that in the forums search bar just to be safe otherwise you risk having a whole lot more issues.

#8 ·
On this 2010 diesel 407 I can't see how you are supposed to remove the battery.
I don't mean disconnecting the terminals but whatever is clamping it in position, I can't see any screws or nuts to undo, at the bottom of the battery (at the front) there is a black plastic thing but now sure what you are supposed to do with it, I tried turning it with my hands but can't move it, I can take a picture of it later if that helps.
Paul

#10 ·
Thanks BiGK, I have managed to undo that clamp now with a socket wrench extension.

I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery and put a multimeter between the battery negative and the cable on the car - so to a in series amps test (if thats what its called). It shows 2 amps been used.
Now i'm just thinking could that 2 amps be used by the on board computer just because the power is suddenly connected on the car and that has activated something or it it more likely to indicate a problem, that something is draining the battery when it shouldn't be. I haven't got round to removing fuses one by one yet.
If anyone has had a similar problem before and the 2 amps number rings a bell you might be able to point me in the right way.

Thanks,
Paul

#11 ·
If you disconnect the battery, then "reconnect" it, the ECU's all start up as the car essentially goes into a "self-test" to see what is connected and if it working. What you have to do is "connect" it up, then keep the bonnet switch closed, along with all doors, then lock your car. Give it 5-15 minutes and then see what the draw is.

But forget that for a moment, just take it for a battery test. Voltage is just a quick test but it is NOT accurate. For example, your battery might show 12.4v BUT as soon as you apply load like a starter motor, it could dip below 8v, stopping it from cranking. Batteries need to be tested under load.

#12 ·
I have swapped the battery to another one that I have borrowed from someone and have been using to jump start the car for the last few weeks, I followed the 3 minute rule. With the other battery one the starter motor hardy cranks at all, the lights on the dashboard all look ok. This battery has been ok for weeks starting the car by jump leads but now it is on the car it wont start it. Its like its lost all its charge just because ive connected it to the car.
Just to give some background, I have had the car for 2.5 years and it has never been good at starting, not in cold weather anyway, it had a brand new battery over 2 years ago which didnt make any difference, it still was bad at starting. It always seems to crank slowly, but it did used to always start for about 18 months even though it seemed like it wasn't going to.

#13 ·
I would check all the main earths from the battery, gearbox and inner wing etc. Try a jump lead from neg of battery to a good metal surface on the engine (eg lifting eye, alternator bracket or head bolt) if starter speeds up it's an earth issue if not the starter maybe failing if the battery is known good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.