Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by Midas that I have a rear wheel bearing on the way out, and they quoted me $700. I need to replace the pads anyway, so I thought I'd buy what I need (jack, axle stands, socket set, various chemicals etc) and have a go myself.

I ordered an all-in-one pair of rotors with built-in bearings and pads off eBay (contacted the seller first with my VIN to be safe beforehand) for $200 delivered. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peugeot-207-1-6i-1-6D-2007-Rear-Brake-Pads-and-Rotors-Set-Special-Price/263123464448?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Youtube has taught me a lot (ChrisFix in particular), but something I can't find out about, are the rotors and bearings ready to fit as delivered, or do I need to lubricate/add grease to the bearing first?

·
Registered
876 Posts
you will need to grease the stub axel, make sure your new disc/bearing has the abs ring. You will need a breaker bar or air gun to undo the bolt and a 36mm socket. (300nm)
Dont forget some brake cleaner to clean it all up.

note one type of the calipers has a akward top bolt that you cant get a socket over, may round with a spanner so use water pump pliers or simular.

Sorry just looked at your ebay listing this part does NOT have the bearing built in so no good.

This is the kind of thing you are looking for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-207-307-REAR-2-BRAKE-DISCS-FITTED-WHEEL-BEARINGS-ABS-RINGS-NEW/271024434270?hash=item3f1a50ac5e:g:oLYAAOSwcB5ZEN5t
but note there are 2 sizes lucas/bosch, so either take a pad out to check or remove cap and mesure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stripe88, can you please tell me what products I need? Do I apply them direct to the bearing rollers? I have a breaker bar, torque wrench, Torx bits, tap wrench and rattle gun, just never used them yet. The rotor has the ABS ring.

·
Registered
876 Posts
if you buy the rotors/discs with the bearings and abs ring, its just a job of removing the calliper and the big middle bolt, cleaning re greasing the stub and sliding it on.
you will need a wind back tool for the caliper piston if new pads going on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I have a caliper compression tool, I just need to know the product used for greasing/lubricating the bearing. There are lots of different types of grease available. And will a small smear across the front of the bearing do the job or should I slap handfuls of the stuff on every side?

·
Registered
876 Posts
i just use that high temperature black stuff they use in cv joints etc, bearing will be more or less sealed so just smear it over, doesnt need packing.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The bearing does not need grease it is pregreased when built but you will need a little grease on the stub this is just to make it easy to fit this is not essential just makes fitting easier.

Most modern cars have 1 piece pregreased bearings nowadays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts