Peugeot Forums banner

2008 partner 1.6hdi cutting out..

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  marcusswan 
#1 ·
Here we go again..
It seems this is an age old problem on this engine and its started with mine now. 145k, well maintained and never missed a beat until the last 6 months.
Starts on the key in all weathers so fuel system is fine, no errors show on OBD2 and none show on garage diagnostics.. It only cuts out(misses a beat is a good analogy rather than cuts out) when accelerating from low..ish down the rev range - the gas pedal has so little movement on it I suspected a dead spot on the pot or something but changed it and still the same. Its only doing it now and then but its a bit unnerving when you are pulling across a junction or roundabout and it hesitates in front of a car.
I thought it could be a bit of gunge floating around in the system but surely the ECU would react to flow and pressure changes?

I hate these intermittents..much rather it just crapped out and I can sort it.

Any ideas

#2 ·
Don't know if this will help but i had similar on my Expert. Turned out to be the crank sensor, well not actually the sensor itself but the plug that goes onto it. It was filled inside with muck/oil. Cleaned out the plug and socket with brake cleaner and never happened again. What I did notice was that when it did happen, the rev counter momentarily dived to zero then back up again.

#3 ·
Happens so rarely and quickly that you dont have time to look at the dash..
Im thinking along the lines of the crank sensor but I would have thought there would be an error code but there is none, just looked now. The ecu may not react that quickly, may need more of a fault time to log a code. I pulled all the plugs on the loom to the sensors and cleaned em, only one I couldnt get was the fuel pressure sensor - its a pig- and its just started raining. I will split that crank-sensor and give it a clean. Just did a timing belt etc on it with the garage and did tell them to change it as a matter of course but it fell on deaf ears it seems.

Cheers for the reply.

#6 ·
HI Had a similar problem with my Expert 1.6HDI. Intermittent engine cut out. Won't start again until the engine has cooled down. Some times the check engine light comes. A smell of fuel quite strong and exhaust a little smokey (dark grey smoke). Quite a few garages looked at it and always suggest it is fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, injectors. But the fault symptoms are very misleading. I had the injectors tested and changed them. It still had the problem. The engine cuts out a around 3000 revs when its warmed up. Turned out to be the crank shaft position sensor. The unit works until the engine has warmed up then a (Thermal intermittent:) fault with the sensor happens. Engine cuts out, smell of fuel. After its cooled down it starts and runs. Taking the sensor out I did electrical checks by powering it up with 12V and monitoring its output by moving a magnet past the sensor. When cold it worked perfectly. I then used a heat gun to warm it up. It then malfunctions but then worked again when cooled down. The sensors is also in the worse possible location exposed to the weather. Any oil leaks end up all over the plug. On top of that the connector is inches from the drive shaft rubber gaiter. Hope this info is useful to someone. It was a real teaser of a fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.