Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 207 (65K miles) currently has a few issues which are likely related. Firstly it has recently had trouble starting. From cold it may take a few seconds of holding the key to start but when warm it usually starts first time. A few miles into a journey the engine temperature will jump up past the usual flat line of 90 degrees and the STOP warning comes up on the dashboard. As the temperature rises the engine idle speed drops to the point of where it often stalls at a standstill etc, or gets very close to it. Upon checking the coolant it keeps going down rapidly. I have topped it up with water but has been lasting no more than 20 miles before needing topped up again. The head gasket was replaced approximately 1 year ago.

As a side, gears 1, 2 and 3 all seem to make an odd light grinding noise. This has been present for some time but unrelated to the other issues I think.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can only suggest changing the water thermostat due to the sudden rise in temp quite possibly indicating a sticky stat.
Not difficult to do and cheap too, then see what happens regarding water loss etc

·
Registered
870 Posts
excess steam from exhaust? its either leaking or hg has gone again.

get it tested or buy a hg test kit of ebay and test it yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can only suggest changing the water thermostat due to the sudden rise in temp quite possibly indicating a sticky stat.
Not difficult to do and cheap too, then see what happens regarding water loss etc
I should have added that when inspecting the coolant after a short journey it is extremely hot and bubbling so I guess this means the stat isn't stuck and is reading correct temp? Thank you for your reply.

excess steam from exhaust? its either leaking or hg has gone again.

get it tested or buy a hg test kit of ebay and test it yourself.
Interesting as I did notice the other day whilst waiting at lights that there was steam coming from the exhaust in my mirrors, I cant ever recall noticing any exhaust fumes before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts