Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van constantly requires topping up with water and yet there is NO visible sign of a leak.
I can top it up and within about 10 minutes the level has dropped. There is no evidence at all that the water is leaking out. This has been happening for the last couple of months but the other day during a Motorway run, the STOP light started to flash. The vehicle has been recovered but will not start now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2006 Expert

The cap on the expansion tank appears to be just a Brake Master Cylinder cap.
I am assuming that this has been fitted by someone in place of the original.

There is no pressure release spring in this cap so presumably the pressure can just rise and rise.

Or is the pressure release spring somewhere else in the system.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
2006 should be older type is this correct ?

If so relief valve is built into cap it has probably fallen out

If its not starting you may have overheated it did you ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not familiar enough with the van to know whether it is the older type or not. It may have overheated, given the circumstances of the STOP flashing and then no water in the expansion tank. Would this mean that something else is damaged.

On the cap, the mechanism has not fallen out. I think it more likely that someone previously has replaced the cap with the wrong type. I must admit, I was surprised that the Brake Master Cylinder and the Expansion Tank Cap, have the same thread and therefore could be interchanged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be worth mentioning that the Oil Level is normal and looks good, ie there is no trace of the mushy appearance that normally suggests that there is water in the oil.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
A head gasket can (blow) In many ways the gasket can leak coolant into the cylinders which then burns off (steamy exhaust) What has it used as coolant It should not be plain water this alone can erode gaskets if used over a prolonged period ,If the coolant jacket passes through the Inlet manifold it could be leaking coolant into the Inlet Manifold get a garage to do a sniffer test which tests for leaks of combustion gases into the coolant system If they can get it started

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jagn
Thank you, a sniffer test sounds a good idea but at the moment, the van will not start.

Do you have any views on where the water is actually going when the level can drop very significantly over a period of 10 minutes or so.

Incidentally, does anyone know the coolant capacity of this vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Gibbo (Moderator)
I am a little disappointed that my 3 threads were merged.
They were different topics with a title relevant to each.

This applies especially to my request for details of a Workshop Manual and the overall title above is probably unlikely to be of any help in locating anyone who can help me with the Workshop Manual question.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What is the Engine Spec ? If diesel I feel fairly sure that any of the manuals that cover the cars that the engine part of the Manual would suffice the Van is probaby built on the same chassis design as the car And I feel pretty sure that a planet diagnostics would at least give the error readouts of why it will not start you also do not give your location (with a location ) forum members may offer to come and put their equipment on your vehicle for some Beer tokens

As for the thread Merge I think the Mods like to keep the forum tidy (as in not too many posts for info ) I think multiple threads about the problem can complicate any answers you do receive

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I recon you were burning the water diesels DO NOT mix oil and water they pressurise the coolant and burn it with the diesel hence loss of water the cap is probably a bodge to hide the problem 1.9 engine is worst for gasket problems hdi less prone to overheating

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@andy308sw
Thanks Andy. I will try that site for capacities. With regard to the coolant loss though, I am losing it even without the engine running, and it is not leaking out anywhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Leaking water pump is a common feature of this as the water runs down the inside of the timing cover hence you don't see it. I've even had brand new pumps that leaked. Worth a check :nod:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Leaking water pump is a common feature of this as the water runs down the inside of the timing cover hence you don't see it. I've even had brand new pumps that leaked. Worth a check :nod:
And inside the timing cover then probably onto an undertray if fitted dry cardboard underneath whilst stationary may show up leaks from a failed seal on a water pump

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.
There is no trace whatsoever under the van of any leak.

The only place I can think that so much water could escape to, is the exhaust system but the leak (wherever it is) must be quite drastic to allow so much water to disappear in such a short space of time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An update
I have today confirmed that the missing water, referred to above, has gone into the exhaust system.
I am hoping that it got there via a 'blown' Cylinder Head Gasket, rather than anything more drastic.

I hope to start dismantling it tomorrow but I could do with a workshop manual of some sort. Does anyone know if there is such a document for the Peugeot Expert, 2006 year, or one for a vehicle that has the same engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts