Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new on here .ive got a 2005 307 1.6 petrol .came to start the car this afternoon and turned the key just clicking from the starter motor .jump started the Car took it for a run ...came home turned engine off same thing happened ...but all dash lights and everything ok ..just the water clicking again so jumped it again no trouble and left it to run ....again turned it off and same thing ....it's had new battery and starter 12months ago ....basically help please

·
5,669 Posts
Loose/dirty battery terminal, bad earth, alternator not charging properly or new battery is faulty would be my first guesses

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked all battery connections ....car was fine Friday as I use it for work ...and its been parked up for 2days

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Could have left a light on like boot light. You need to get the engine running and see what the output from the alternator is. Then if that is ok I would get the battery load tested. Of course the alt belt needs checking to ensure it is at the correct tension.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had similar problem. Normally on my wife's car the fault showed after being switch of after the car had been running. So fault occurred whilst popping into a shop for example. Turned out to be a worn out solenoid on the starter motor. It sounds like starter motor solenoid contacts to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been having the same problem for almost a year now. I've had a new battery, new starter motor, checked the battery voltage with the engine running and without, checked the connections and fuses. It's fine for two or three weeks sometimes, then suddenly it won't start. I've had and cured just about every known electrical fault with this car, but this one has me stumped at the moment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed. 're earth.

If you have done battery and starter motor, there is only one thing left, which is the wiring. The main battery supply to the motor solenoid, or the gearbox to battery earthing strap.

The reasoning being this is.
If you hear the solenoid click when you turn, the key it means the low voltage side of the starter solenoid and immobilizer is working.

So the solenoid is throwing gear into flywheel, which is the click you hear. When fully engaged this also makes contact with the main battery solenoid contactors allowing the motor to turn. If you get no cranking it could be missing 12V supply to motor main solenoid contactor. Or the solenoid main contactors not making contact, therefore not allowing the 12v supply through the solenoid to energize the motor. Check for 12v in and out of main solenoid contactors carefully without shorting anything out and with a volunteer to crank the car. The big chunky cables on the solenoid are the in and out. If you have 12v in and out on cranking it suggest solenoid is fine.

So if the motor has been already been replaced. You should be able to rule this out, but I would still check this first.

So finally there is the earth return to circuit to the battery from the engine/gearbox. Check for poor earthing from the gearbox earth connector and wire integrity, or the battery terminal poor connection. You could try and read ohms (resitance) from engine to battery earth as a easy test using a meter on ohms. Although it is probably more reliable to remove the earth strap and check and clean accordingly and it is free.

There is specific way you have to remove the battery. Please make sure if you decide to remove the battery to follow procedure for this else where on this site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts