Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First of all, I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything even remotely mechanical with cars, so let me apologise just now for anything that might seem like a daft question!

Anyway...I bought a 2005 407 SW 1.4 diesel back in November of last year, with about 56k on the clock. I've had no issues with it (other than the rear screen having a mind of its own, but that's more of an annoyance than anything else) until this week, when a few things have happened. I'll run through them chronologically:

1. We had temperatures dropping down to about -5 one night last week. The next morning, the gearstick was completely frozen - even pulling on the thing with two hands there was no shifting it. I left the engine running for about half an hour, and eventually I was able to get things to shift - is this likely to be due to the temperature or is there anything else I should get checked?

2. Last night on my way home from work, I suddenly had a big drop-off in power, initially in fourth and fifth gear. This was accompanied by an odd 'whining' noise coming from the engine (almost like a jet engine?). This morning on my way in, this is still an issue - although its developed now from a whine into a sort of hoarse scraping, as if something is dragging on the ground (which it isn't). Before it went, the whining noise would gradually build in intensity before there was a 'popping' sound and it would calm down.

There are no error messages coming up at all, and everything else would appear to be working fine. I popped the bonnet but couldn't see anything overtly wrong, but as a complete noob I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway!

I was going to leave it over the weekend and take it to my local garage on Monday. Can any of you geniuses shed any light on what my issues might be caused by?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Gordon

C

·
0 Posts
1, cables freezing, common problem for some.

2, Possilbe turbo failure (at a guess).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your response...I didn't think it had a turbo though (setting myself up for a fall here)?

Like I say, I'm a motoring dullard so I apologise!

C

·
0 Posts
You sure it's 1.4 diesel??

Don't remember a 1.4 diesel only 1.4 petrols. could be wrong!!

J

·
0 Posts
You sure it's 1.4 diesel??

Don't remember a 1.4 diesel only 1.4 petrols. could be wrong!!
Would definitely need to be bigger than a 1.4, petrol or diesel, anything less and it just wouldn't have any power to move :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arg...not exactly reassuring! You're right about the power though, hills are a definite issue in its current state!

If it's a turbo issue, is it likely to need a full replacement or could it be that some part or other is a bit clogged? (I'm doing about 40 miles a day in it, town and country driving).

As for burning it...I'm hoping that's a joke! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts