Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Peugeot. It's the first time I own a petrol and the first time it looks like a major issue.

I got the car 2 months ago, and it had some clean oil on the engine nearside part. Dealer said they it must be a spill, as they just did the filer/oil change.

For 2 months, the car drove great, both in the city and on motorway.
Nothing that I could notice in terms of power loss or other strange behaviour.

Today, out of the blue, white thick smoke started to get out of the exhaust. In order to explain how much, think of M40 with 4 lanes full covered in smoke and me not able to see anything in the mirrors.
I haven't noticed any power loss ( couldn't tell as I reacted as soon as I so it in the mirror and until then, the car pulled properly).
Engine coolant is clean, engine hood/booth and all space is clean.
The only issue that I've found is that there was no more oil in the engine(on the dipstick) so I could joke that the engine is also clean on the inside.

The car has about 97,000 miles and it's a 5 speed manual (if it helps), 2.0 petrol 180bhp.

My questions are.....where do I start? What could have caused the issue?

Thank you for all your time and opinions in advance.

Drive safely,
Cezarel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

So I started to carry the stuff from the car in the house, as a preparation for getting the car to a service and I couldn't resist temptation :) so I started the engine. Started smooth as usual, with an initial cloud of white smoke and after that, some smoke, but it did run round, properly without any strange noises.
The was that smell of something else being burned, not just fuel. It ran for about a minute and I've stopped it, s i know it's not good to run it without oil.
The strange part is that the car said the oil level was ok, so I would assume that the sensor is not working.
Tomorrow I'll be checking the oil level again, as now it was too dark and I wasn't willing to do it :eek:

Any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only issue that I've found is that there was no more oil in the engine(on the dipstick) so I could joke that the engine is also clean on the inside
Sorry but did you say you were running the engine without oil, or at least such a low level of oil it doesn't show on the dipstick??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but did you say you were running the engine without oil, or at least such a low level of oil it doesn't show on the dipstick??
that's what I do assume. I check the level every other week, and it was ok. the sensors haven't said anything about low level, the oil temp and water temp looked ok.

i'm heading now to the car to see what's the level again, as it stayed horizontal over night.

what worries me is the big cloud that appeared suddenly, and i would love to learn why.

I'll post an update when I get back.

Thank you for the time and opinions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm afraid I'm not following you. No oil means that engine gets hot, the small film of oil evaporates, some white smoke with grinding noises. For me it was a sudden blast of smoke, no noise.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This has to be some sort of joke surely.Who would want to run there engine with nothing showing on the dipstick,especially as it's pushing out white smoke,????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are speaking about the 1 minute test, I would run it. All the insides are treated and some oil was present in the engine. Check YouTube for videos on how long it takes an engine to die without oil and cooling.
Today I've redone the test , after adding oil. Smoke was present, but not in the amount I've seen on motorway. One could say it is like the water steam but it smells of gas and burnt oil.
Where should I start looking?
What's the normal color for brake fluid? What about power steering fluid?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2.0 petrol 180, no turbo. If it helps. But the smoke was the same size if not bigger than a blowing turbo on a diesel. And not black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car is in service. as it might look to a lot of you as a surprise, the guy from the service started the engine in order to move it around and see how much smoke is getting out on the exhaust pipe.

now, as the diagnostic seems to be a piston ring failure, and I would assume that I'll need to argue a lot with the warranty company, do you have any recommendations on where can I look for a rebuilt engine? it might be cheaper than replacing the rings......

i hate companies that are trying to get away with deterring clients and predatory behaviour.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Back in the 70s Ford cars were notorious for piston ring breakage , this was often seen as a sudden cloud of white smoke been thrown out of the exhaust , usually when driven at speed . Seems like the diagnosis could well be correct.
Still wouldn't dream of running an engine with no oil not even for a minute. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts