Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had 2 x new tyres as an MOT requirement and the garage lost my locking wheel nut key and are trying to fob me off with another replacement.
Would somebody please be kind enough to take two photos of your locking wheel nut (internal and external) so I can prove that they are wrong.
The more images from different people, the better so they cannot dispute the mass.
Many thanks in advance.
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The keys are different - if there Peugeot locking bolts then the best result would be the garage removing all 4 & then paying for a set of McGard locking bolts instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The keys are different - if there Peugeot locking bolts then the best result would be the garage removing all 4 & then paying for a set of McGard locking bolts instead.
Thank you, but they are saying that the key they are giving me is the correct one, it is has a worn near smooth top outer thread due to 'industrial' use and has small prongs inside it.
Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of it as they still have my car as they broke the drivers side window :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
There are many different keys for Peugeot / Citroen locking wheel bolts.

The key is the known weak point - most owners remove the Peugeot locking bolts & replace them with either a standard wheel bolt OR a set of McGards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many different keys for Peugeot / Citroen locking wheel bolts.

The key is the known weak point - most owners remove the Peugeot locking bolts & replace them with either a standard wheel bolt OR a set of McGards
I will take your advice Mr Lee, thanks.
Would you know which set I need from this image, I am guessing it is the Alloy Wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
When you say they want to fob you off with another replacement what exactly does that entail then. A locking bolt or a standard bolt? If they have also broke a window it seems to me they need to be avoided in the future as they sound like "cowboys".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say they want to fob you off with another replacement what exactly does that entail then. A locking bolt or a standard bolt? If they have also broke a window it seems to me they need to be avoided in the future as they sound like "cowboys".
Yes, I will avoid them like the plague in future. It is the master locking bolt they are trying to fob me off with, I don't know what type it is except it is very well worn and my lug wrench will probably just spin if I ever try to use it.
Also from memory there are a number of small pins inside it?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You would need alloy wheel bolts for alloy wheels.
Double check the original bolts thread length & bolt head size to get the correct replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is what I have done to my wifes locking wheel nut, I have sprayed in black to stop any other future cowboys.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Mybe I'm missing something but that key looks perfectly fine to me. The stae of the hex part looks fine and the only rounding is on the shoulder where the hex part meets the body which is normal on all the keys I've had. I'd be more concerned about the state of the 'pins' on the inside as they do the brunt of the work in removing the bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mybe I'm missing something but that key looks perfectly fine to me. The stae of the hex part looks fine and the only rounding is on the shoulder where the hex part meets the body which is normal on all the keys I've had. I'd be more concerned about the state of the 'pins' on the inside as they do the brunt of the work in removing the bolt.
This is my wifes key from her Ford, mine is 'missing' but still with my car at the garage:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts