Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm new to this forum, and I need some advice on a 307 HDi. I'm not too sure wether it is a 1.6 or 2.0, but I think it maybe the 1.6...

The car is coming in to my workshop tomorrow, the owner says that it cuts out randomly whilst driving, she cannot discern a definate pattern (like more often in traffic or only on freeways, etc.) but once it does cut out, it only starts up again after about half an hour.

An "antipollutant" something-something error message also appears intermittently, though not always at the time of the unplanned stops.

We're in a pretty remote area, and we will not have access to a Peugeot dealer, and I only have access to a Star diagnostic computer for Mercedes Benz, so whatever course of action we take, I will have tomake do without the luxury of electronic diagnostics.

I waswondering about the following 3 things:

1) Can duff ignition keys cause the car to cut out whilst driving? The owner says that sometimes after the car cuts out it will start up with the spare key! Strange...

2) Can the fault memory in the computer be cleared from the dash, or can it only be done by computer?

3) Can the EGR system be bypassed and blanked off completely, and a circuit of sorts be inserted to fool the onboard computer into thinking the egr is still active. This can be, and often is, done on Mercedes Benz diesels with a great success rate.

Thanks!

MechPhil

D

·
0 Posts
Waste of time guessing. Get a diagnostic check done. Could be anything engine management related.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply.

As for questions 2 and 3, anybody have any ideas on that? There's a procedure for clearing fault codes from most cars without using the computer and I can do it on most German cars, but I don't really work on the frogs all that often.

I'm going to remove the whole egr system and clean it properly, and for the sake of thoroughness, I'll replace the fuel filter.

Do the keys have replaceable batteries for the remote central locking? (I guess that's a bit of a silly question...)

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the plot thickens...

The car starts easily from cold, runs well, gives great power. Then all of a sudden, after two minutes or so, it jerks. After the jerk it runs perfectly again for a few seconds, and jerks again. At this point the tacho dies for an instant and the comes back up, the charge light (the red one that looks like a battery on the centre console display) and the red "STOP" light above it also blink on for an instant.

After this second jerk and all the other events described above, the engine is dead, and does not start again until the key has been removed and replaced the other way around... And then it only starts at every 5th attempt. After starting, it would run for only about half a minute and then it would jerk again.

The display in the centre of the dash shows "anti pollution fault" and "airbag fault".

Interestingly, the indicator on the odometer shows low oil level, though a physical check reveals the oil is up to the proper mark. Is there a possibility that a protection circuit cuts power when the oil level sensor gets a low reading?

Phil

D

·
0 Posts
Get a diagnostic check done! You'd probably have it fixed at this stage! :confused:

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need! Cleaned out the egr, cleaned out the intake manifold and checked all plugs and wires. Problem better, but still there.

Then I did the good old Italian tune-up and it's all better! Went out to a good piece of road (not easy around here) and gave it hell. Drove it at 4500rpm int 4th for about 10 minutes, and then lots of nice and twisty bits, revving it hard and using all the power, and it seems all is OK now!

Now the owner can drive it to civilisation and have a diagnostic run... Having is towed to the nearest Peugeot dealer would have taken 3 days and cost a king's ransom!

Phil

D

·
0 Posts
Yes but your still none the wiser as to whats wrong with it.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I'm not really. But frankly I don't give a crap. I would have no need whatsoever to ask a question on a forum such as this if I had access to a diagnostic computer for the 307.

Point is that the nearest Peugeot dealer is 800 miles away. 800 miles of Africa. The car could not be driven as it was, so something had to be done, and I had to do the doing... which I did and now the problem is gone, and I know what to do next time it happens.

I don't see the point in having a forum where the only piece of advice is to get the vehicle to a dealer. I didn't need a forum to tell me that the dealers can probably repair the car... Well no point in bitching about it either, I guess!

Phil

D

·
0 Posts
Sure we're all getting paid the best of wages on here to deal with problems like yours. You have no argument about anybody not trying to help you. Maybe the forum should charge you for the info you may have more respect for it. I'm all for it to charge for info as it'll root out the timewasters.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure we're all getting paid the best of wages on here to deal with problems like yours. You have no argument about anybody not trying to help you. Maybe the forum should charge you for the info you may have more respect for it. I'm all for it to charge for info as it'll root out the timewasters.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Interesting take on things... Maybe, next time a customer comes into my workshop, asking me check the brakes, I should charge two hours' labour and tell the poor bastard to get the car to the dealer, as apparently absolutely nothing can be done to a car without the aid of the dealer's computer...

I'm an active member of two more similar forums, and If I had to ask the same question (obviously not about the same car) on either of those forums, someone have said something like "check the egr valve, they tend to muck up" or "clean out the MAF". Or, a "master technician" may have pointed out that in the absence of a diagnostic computer, the MAF can be tested with a multimeter, and should give a resistance of x y z.

But apparently Peugeots can only be repaired by the dealers, and faults can only be diagnosed by a computer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The only way to be sure of a fault on a modern peugeot is to use peugeot planet, it doesnt have to be at the dealers. The onboard computer doesnt give enough details about the faults. A master tech will always use his diagnostic computer to pinpiont exactly where the fault is.
I treat it like lookin for a bug in a plc program or a problem with a broken down machine at work, plug computer in and it points you to the fault rather than spend 3 days chasin my tail.
The members of the forum are helpfull and do so free of charge, we have master techs here who will tell you where to look and what to look out for, they tell you what the codes mean. If you want to have a go at someone then blame peugeot for usin generic messages on the cars lcd for any problems, dont have a go at the members of the forum. Most people on here are within 50 miles of someone with peugeot planet.

Im glad you got it sorted, maybe you could of posted what you did without havin a go. You never know, it might help someone.

Sent from my non apple product using AutoGuide.Com Free App

D

·
0 Posts
Interesting take on things... Maybe, next time a customer comes into my workshop, asking me check the brakes, I should charge two hours' labour and tell the poor bastard to get the car to the dealer, as apparently absolutely nothing can be done to a car without the aid of the dealer's computer...

I'm an active member of two more similar forums, and If I had to ask the same question (obviously not about the same car) on either of those forums, someone have said something like "check the egr valve, they tend to muck up" or "clean out the MAF". Or, a "master technician" may have pointed out that in the absence of a diagnostic computer, the MAF can be tested with a multimeter, and should give a resistance of x y z.

But apparently Peugeots can only be repaired by the dealers, and faults can only be diagnosed by a computer.
Well if you didn't know how to test a airflowmeter with a multimeter you should have asked. I'd have told you also to put an oscilliscope on it. An oscilliscope will diagnose any automotive sensor. I can run through that with you too. Frer of course.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quite right, I don't need to have a go, and I'll not it again.

Here's what I did:

No need! Cleaned out the egr, cleaned out the intake manifold and checked all plugs and wires. Problem better, but still there.

Then I did the good old Italian tune-up and it's all better! Went out to a good piece of road (not easy around here) and gave it hell. Drove it at 4500rpm int 4th for about 10 minutes, and then lots of nice and twisty bits, revving it hard and using all the power, and it seems all is OK now!

Now the owner can drive it to civilisation and have a diagnostic run... Having is towed to the nearest Peugeot dealer would have taken 3 days and cost a king's ransom!

Phil
I didn't mention in the above post, but I also cleaned out the MAF sensor, and replaced the fuel filter as a precaution. (Northern Mozambique isn't exactly known for clean diesel!)

The egr valve can be a bit of a bugger to remove, but the whole system was mucked up, and took a fair bit of scrubbing to clean. This happens to most egr-equipped diesels, so it was the first port of call.

The engine management warning lamp is still lit, and the lcd display still shows "anti-pollution", but the car is now driveable, and the owner can now drive it to the dealers in Maputo... If they have a computer! Else she'll have to go to South Africa. The best quote to transport the car on a flatbed truck to Maputo was more than the value of the car!

Phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts