Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everbody,

I come to you in search of help - this is my very first post so I will try and explain my issue as best as possible to hopefully achieve the right outcome. Are you all sitting comfortably? Then I will begin:-

I own a 2004 307sw 1.6 110bhp. I have owned for just over 18mths and its covered just over 88,000 miles and the turbo has gone. To my knowledge it had already had a replacement turbo on it. As the car is 12 years old and due to my current circumstances - I am unable / unwilling to throw huge amounts of cash at it for a new one. So my aim is to get a 2nd hand unit on it and then run for a couple of months then look at swapping it for another. I have trawled the web and ebay for them and they are available - however I have zero knowledge in knowing if the part would be compatible if I purchase a S/H unit.

Now - herein lies my issue. It has I am told most pugs have a Garrett turbo The one currently is a 1544V - tbh I dont even know if this was the correct one that they have put on it! What I have searched high and low for is a list of compatible part numbers which will actually fit my model / age of car (the part number which starts 96....) Can I find this anywhere? No. Not even the Peugeot main dealer were prepared to help :(

So this is why I turn to you - the Peugeot Forum Community. Like I said I am not in a position to throw wads of cash at it currently - yet at the same time I dont want to buy something that wont fit and I cant resell. Is there anyone out there who can provide me or direct me to a listing of all compatible turbo part numbers for my model / year of car. I also have a couple of other additional questions:-

1. Does / will the turbo off a 2.0 litre engine version of the same model fit / be compatible?
2. Does the SW have the same spec engine / parts as the 307 estate version and as such will turbo's from the estate version fit it?

Many thanks for any help in advance that any of you can provide to me regarding this matter as I am seriously struggling.

Kindest regards,
Sam.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The Peugeot dealer won't help with alternative parts - all they'll want to do is get your car in their garage and for you to pay them to fit the correct part.

The easiest way is to get the OEM part number for your car using the VIN, and then using that part number to search the internet or wherever. Most alternative units will reference the OEM part number to make sure that the alt is compatible with the vehicle.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easiest way is to get the OEM part number for your car using the VIN, and then using that part number to search the internet or wherever. Most alternative units will reference the OEM part number to make sure that the alt is compatible with the vehicle.

Thanks Jimmy - I will give that a try. Failing that i will be back on. would you know just out of interest about the other 2 questions I posted??

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the 1.6HDi or the SW than with my own. From my own experiences with Peugeots, I wouldn't like to say that they certainly are compatible. I can check the turbo originally fitted in your car using your VIN and compare it to my own and see if the part numbers are the same. This may shed a little bit of light on it for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the VIN on the web. Keeps saying no search details found :(

I will double check it when I get home as in my Wife's car at work until 8am. It has been so frustrating - thanks Jimmy I owe you one!!

It would be Ideal if there was a listing somewhere for everyone to check without the opportunity for dealers to rip you off

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've attached 2 images from Peugeot Servicebox - the image "1.6 SW" should be what your car was originally fitted with. The "2.0Hatch" is what mine is fitted with. As you can see, they're a different type.

I've also checked the 92bhp 1.6SW and that has a different part number, although in appearance it looks similar to yours. But as it's from an engine with a lower power output, I'm not sure if I'd like to put it in.

For reference, the OEM part number you'll need is 0375J6, this may help you to track down a compatible part.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jimmy. I think I have worked out from my VIN that its a 9HZ that I need not a 9HY. I will have a look and if any further issues i will no doubt be drawing from your knowledge once more..

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
On my 1.6L 90bhp 307 hatch the turbo was at the front of the engine. On my 2.0L 90 bhp hatch the turbo was at the back of the engine so I would gues they would be different turbos.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the 1.6hdi 90bhp has a different turbo then a 1.6hdi 110bhp.

the 2.0s are all different

there shouldnt be any turbo difference between the estate and sw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Storeman and Monty - thats a couple of things I couldn't get my head around.

All I need to do now is to try and find a turbo with a compatible part number (96.....) I have tried the compatability table via ebay when searching but I am unsure how reliable it is..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a few days of searching - still having no success. Does anyone have any good places / sites / companies to check with re cheap and ready to go parts??

·
Registered
647 Posts
You have the same engine as me. The 90bhp does not have a variable vane turbo I believe. Post the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can double check. The Garrett turbo that you have already is a correct one.
The Peugeot part number for the new turbo is 0375J6 or 0375J8 for a reconditioned unit.
These guys aren't far from me, they seem to have a good rep, might be worth giving them a ring: Essex Turbos are turbo suppliers of exchange and new turbos
Avoid cheap Chinese stuff off eBay, it won't last and will be a waste of money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good morning folks - I hope that you are all well.

UPDATE - Right, at last I have finally managed to acquire a S/H turbo unit from E-bay. I have a friend who is a mechanic of 25 plus years who is able to fit it.

Just a quick question re swapping it over. Is it correct that I have to do 2 oil changes - one initially before the new turbo goes on then one after the engine has been running for 20-30 mins or so? Or is only the intial one needed?

Secondly - in re to the oil going in - does the cheaper branded and cost stuff do exactly the same as the premium branded ones for example mobil 1 / castrol - as if I do have to do 2 changes, I dont want to be blowing the equivalent of a month's mortgage on lubricant.

As usual, many thanks in advance for any help / advice..

KR,
SY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts