Peugeot Forums banner

2004 307 2.0 hdi 136 xsi EGR Fault

13K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  arsebandit 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, as the above suggest the car has thrown up code p0490. Which i believe to be an EGR fault.

At low revs the car drives very poorly. I know the EGR is at the back of the engine, how difficult is this to replace??

Many thanks

#3 ·
EGR Try Unplugging It

I also have 2005 - 307 2.0 16v 136 after a long period of diagnosis, I have unplugged the EGR and the hiccups have gone. So this is a good first step and it is not too hard to get at the plug, you need a flat blade screwdriver to lift the clip that secures the plug into the EGR socket.

I would be interested to know how hard you find the job when you change the EGR as I might be doing mine on Monday.

For your interest the electronic EGR for mine was £142 ex VAT (trade account). I think you may need peugeot planet to relearn or Zero the EGR in the engine ECU. But others with better knowledge may confirm this information is correct.

#5 ·
JMKent what happened - did you get a new EGR and a cure ? Before I went to the EGR I had convinced myself it might be the air Doser not functioning correctly, i.e. as rough running was when the car called for regen, I thought the bypass doser was trying to open and either this or the doser from the intercooler faulty so modulating the air supply to the engine in some way.

But a different S/hand doser made no difference. Hopefully the new EGR is the cure. but it is a 307 - def the worst car I have ever had in 30 + years for diagnosing, and I am an Engineer so should have some clue though a limited one !

G
#6 ·
JMKent what happened - did you get a new EGR and a cure ?
No new EGR, and no cure as yet. Its slightly off thread here, but put the link to show that disconnecting the EGR does have its pitfalls aswell as some very positive benefits :lol:

The air doser has been mentioned on mine, but they aren't cheap, hence why both the dealer and myself are reluctant to go down that route.

307 / 407, believe its the same engine here anyhow :thumb:

#7 ·
Air doser is quite easy to check, it has two electrical connections, flow and temp. I believe and two air connections. The temp sensor will tell the engine ECU if the engine is getting intercooled air or bypassed air.

Normally the doser is in the default position of air from intercooler butterfly open, air from bypass (bypassing intercooler) shut.

If you pull off the two vacuum hoses from the doser actuatos and block each hose rubber end up with with something you can get out easily, then the doser will do nothing apart from sitting in its default position. If the car is still jerky, then it is not the doser butterflies moving. (This is what led me to the EGR fault).

The doser is easy to remove and check for cleanliness and security of the butterflies, remove two elec connections, two jubilee clips, remove 2 allen bolts and loosen (only) the bottom one, then it lifts out. You can then check butterflies are tight and give it a clean, being careful not to disturb the ?flow sensor? measuring wire.

G
#12 ·
I didn't bother to replace the gaskets when removing my EGR, believe they are metal anyhow.

It was the tech at my dealer who said unplugging the EGR may cause the car not to regen as it switches off other sensors too.

#14 ·
EGR Replaced but no a cure !

Well now I am head scratching !

Replaced the EGR on my 307 2.0 136 with a shiny new one. There seems no option in PP to learn this egr to engine ecu, so I assume this is not necessary.

Hesitancy is still there at 1800 rpm though perhaps not so noticeable. Tried to record live data relating to EGR, but without success. However the % seem pretty well aligned on all data relating to the EGR. With it open at low rpm, closing around 2000 rpm on accel then opening again at steady state speed.

SO does anyone know what other functionality of the car is turned off when the EGR is unplugged, as car runs smoothly with EGR unplugged but hesitant with the new EGR plugged in.

I am going back to the doser solenoids - maybe it is worth replacing these - then I will have done EGR / Doser and Solenoids. I assume as the solenoids are I think controlled PWM to earth it is difficult to test them properly.

Thoughts from anyone on where to go next (polite please) appreciated...

#15 ·
Quick update. Sun was shining yesterday,so i removed EGR and let it soak in diesel (only the metal body) cleaned up lovly, valve slides easily open/shut.

Bolted back on car and inserted blanking plate also. Plugged connector back on and touch wood it drives fine.

Hope this lasts as i do like the car,perfect for the missus.

#16 ·
Egr??

Not sure this is any help but I blanked egr valve off yesterday in the hope my turbo issues would be solved.. They are not. Turbo only kicks in now at approximately 4000rpm which is way above what I'm comfortable driving at. The boost is mighty kicky but I don't like thrashing my car to get some acceleration as anywhere under 3800rpm is practically walking pace. I'm hoping someone may have some clue as to how to fix this..:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.