Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this. This problem has me stumped (well, not that I know much about cars in the first place...)

I bought a second hand 206 a couple of years ago. It had an occasional fault (that I discovered after purchase) where it would occasionally lose power. I found that is I turned the car off and on again, it would be fine. That was a fun trick to learn on the motorway.

Then one day the engine died completely. No bangs or noise, it just lost power.

I've put extra fuel in it (I thought maybe the fuel gauge was broken). I've check the timing belt and that's ok.

When I turn the key, the starter motor makes a noise, but the engine doesn't fire.

I had someone (very kindly) come round and stick Puegot Planet into the car (I wanted to try PP before posting here). However, PP was unable to read the ECU. It could scan the other systems on the car, but would give an error trying to read the ECU. PP also found an error with the airbags (attached screenshot).

Has anyone got any ideas about what this could be, or what I should start checking first?

It would be great to get the car running again!

Thanks!

·
7,038 Posts
If you cannot communicate with engine ecu it likely it is not powering up. Check all the earth points and wiring to the ecu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this. This problem has me stumped (well, not that I know much about cars in the first place...)

I bought a second hand 206 a couple of years ago. It had an occasional fault (that I discovered after purchase) where it would occasionally lose power. I found that is I turned the car off and on again, it would be fine. That was a fun trick to learn on the motorway.

Then one day the engine died completely. No bangs or noise, it just lost power.

I've put extra fuel in it (I thought maybe the fuel gauge was broken). I've check the timing belt and that's ok.

When I turn the key, the starter motor makes a noise, but the engine doesn't fire.

I had someone (very kindly) come round and stick Puegot Planet into the car (I wanted to try PP before posting here). However, PP was unable to read the ECU. It could scan the other systems on the car, but would give an error trying to read the ECU. PP also found an error with the airbags (attached screenshot).

Has anyone got any ideas about what this could be, or what I should start checking first?

It would be great to get the car running again!

Thanks!
View attachment 90596
Good evening
I think its ECU problem you can try a new one then everything will be ok

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are 2 main earth points - 1 behind each headlamp & these are a known cause of 206 electrical faults.

Unbolt, clean up the earth ring terminal making sure its nice bright & shining then refit nice & tightly - repeat on the other terminal.

The main earth cable where it bolts on top of the gearbox & then on to the bodyshell - the eyelet on top of the gearbox is a known failure point - they can look perfectly fine to the eye but fall apart / snap off the end of the cable due to corrosion when touched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you cannot communicate with engine ecu it likely it is not powering up. Check all the earth points and wiring to the ecu
Thanks!

Good evening
I think its ECU problem you can try a new one then everything will be ok
I'll try that after checking the earth points!

There are 2 main earth points - 1 behind each headlamp & these are a known cause of 206 electrical faults.

Unbolt, clean up the earth ring terminal making sure its nice bright & shining then refit nice & tightly - repeat on the other terminal.

The main earth cable where it bolts on top of the gearbox & then on to the bodyshell - the eyelet on top of the gearbox is a known failure point - they can look perfectly fine to the eye but fall apart / snap off the end of the cable due to corrosion when touched.
Are these the earth points you are talking about? It looks like I'll have to take off the light units to get to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so this week I took out the headlights, cleaned those earth points up a treat and put the lights back in. One light had water in it, so I drained it and dried the light out indoors for a few days.

The wiring all looks ok, the fuses are all ok. I've taken the plugs off the fusebox where I can and everything looks ok.

Still no luck - the car won't start.

When I put the battery back in, some of the electric systems don't work - the window wipers don't work. The sidelights work, but the main beams do not. The full beam lights sort of work - if I hold the control stick on the steering wheel in, the beams come on, but they will not toggle on / off at the stick like they should. This all worked fine before I took the lights out. Electric windows and stereo work ok.

I also listened above the fuel pump so haer if it would come on when I turned the ignition on, and couldn't hear anything.

Any ideas on what to try next?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It certainly sounds like earthing problems. Have you tried a direct earth cable form the battery to the engine block. I've used a jump lead in the past. It doesn't cure the fault but if the engine starts it identifies where the problem is. I remember a 206 I had in the past where the earth cable to the body (inner wing) was hanging on by just a few strands. It passed all the multimeter tests but was always temperamental when starting. Replaced the whole cable and it was fine.
Good luck Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It certainly sounds like earthing problems. Have you tried a direct earth cable form the battery to the engine block. I've used a jump lead in the past. It doesn't cure the fault but if the engine starts it identifies where the problem is. I remember a 206 I had in the past where the earth cable to the body (inner wing) was hanging on by just a few strands. It passed all the multimeter tests but was always temperamental when starting. Replaced the whole cable and it was fine.
Good luck Mike
I've replaced the thick black V shaped cable that comes off the battery - is that the cable you're referring to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts