Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 307cc 2004 2.0 non runner. The symptoms are, when the battery is connected, ignition key is off, the headlights flash on and off every 20 seconds, the central locking does not work, dash lights up every third of fourth flash of the lights, clicking from bsm, when you turn ignition key on headlights come on dipped beam all the time regardless of switch position, needles rise, dash lights up ok, radio comes on but goes into economy mode, electric windows don't work, except once in a blue moon the drivers window goes down an inch regardless if you put the switch up or down, roof does not work, wipes don't work, engine cranks but does not start, indicators don't work but hazards do.
when you switch ignition off headlights go back to flashing. sometimes window switches work in time with the flashing, and various dash lights flicker in time with the flashing.

The previous owner replaced ecu, bsi and key as a set from a working car but symptoms remain. bsi reset did not help.

I have ordered pp2000 which should be here by the weekend. I have carprog, galetto and mpps.

I am guessing maybe no communication between com2000 and bsi, or bsm problem or bad earth somewhere, fuses have been visually inspected but I'll stick my meter over them once I remember to bring it home from work.

where should I start, any good faultfinding guides/flowcharts? where should I be checking voltages, any wiring diagrams online?

Should I get a checkup from the neckup for buying one of these with electrical issues when there was one available for slightly more money with only a broken timing belt?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
PP2000 is the place to start.

For wiring information, you need the SEDRE, which, together with the service box documentation, is a complete set of Peugeot databases for all Peugeots. You can buy it on EBay, and encounter cracks, glitches, etc, or get it pre-installed here. Well worth the tenner. Do not click the blue boxes, just scroll down to the listings. It matters not which car you click, you get the complete databases for all models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye, sussed that one out, for some reason safari was only rendering the top half of the page, bottom was blank, so i could only see the blue buttons. Opened it on a windows laptop and all was well. Ta.
Hopefully the rain stops soon, as every time i open a door the drivers window drops an inch and doesn't go back up so its sitting with a black bag taped to it. What have i let myself in for?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mate owns a scrappy, he doesn't have any 307ccs in at the moment but plenty of normal 307s. Just for diagnosis purposes could i try a com2000 out a lesser spec car to see if it at least starts, then I can try to source the correct part or get a repair organised? Any other parts i should borrow from him for testing purposes?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Window dropping when door opens is correct they all do that but by the sound of it the car has something wrong with wiring and the previous owner done the classic blame the ecu but all they have done is made it worse.

Forget changing anything check ALL the earths it sounds like wiring issue simple as that

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
As reliable says, wiring issue is your most likely cause.

The SEDRE diagrams will show you where all the ground points are in the vehicle, remove each one, clean contact surfaces and replace with a smear of copper grease. Don't just look at them and think they are good. Pay particular attention to the main ground cables from battery-body-engine.

Also, check carefully the engine bay fuse box. Look for corrosion in fuses and check inside all plugs for the same. Check the BSI also for corrosion/bad contacts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still downloading. is emanuals usually this slow? 4 hours to go, and I have to keep moving the mouse to stop the laptop sleeping

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It's a large download and the time depends on your bandwidth.

Easy to overcome the going-to-sleep issue. Control Panel/Power Options.

When you come to use the SEDRE, it will ask you details about your car. You get those from the other package - the Service Box Documentation. Just put the last 8 digits of your VIN into the VIS box top-left, OK, and then click Characteristics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got 80/20 fibre, nothing else using it at the moment, but only hovering between 300-500k/s
my new laptop is a pita, I change the power plan settings , save the settings, check they have saved by going back into power settings again, and sleep is set to never, but it always reverts to sleep after 30 mins by itself at some point down the line.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
That's terribly slow - perhaps it's the other end. There is a free option to order a disk.

Maybe the sleep setting only works if you reboot, but you won't want to do that now;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nope. getting itchy feet now the car is back at the yard I want to get stuck in about it. need to get it running, polished and the interior gutted before the mrs sees it and goes off her head.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just get stuck into all the ground points you can find. There are a host of engine loom wiring ones in the vicinity of the engine bay fuse box and in other areas in the engine bay. Also some behind the dash in the area of the BSI. And dont forget the main ground cables from battery etc..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
done the ones behind the headlights and in front of the bsm, where is the bsi one? anything in the boot? just noticed some water in the spare wheel well. I'll be able to do a bit more now it isn't out on the street, didn't want to do too much as the car was parked where it broke down.
its got sat nav and phone controls on the head unit, i'm guessing its too old for Bluetooth is it one of those ones you need to put a sim card in? can't play with that at the mo either due to economy mode.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, crap start to the day, sedre bluescreens, and diagbox doesn't work as my laptop is 64 bit
Buuut
The car runs great. Airbag ecu was wet, unplugged it and the car runs well and most of the electrics work.
Is the airbag ecu coded?
And am i better setting up a virtual machine or formatting my old laptop an putting x86 windows on?

Delighted, got a convertible with 10 months mot for under £100 now we just need some sunshine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put a scope on the canbus, saw data coming in fits and starts, but can- in reference to 0v kept drifting up, and when it hit a certain level data stopped, so that told me something was faulty on the canbus dragging all the modules down, so next step was meter out the canbus with the battery off. The resistance kept fluctuating constantly, not staying constant or climbing slowly, but going up and down all the time, which from prior experience tends to indicate somethings wet. I started disconnecting modules until the reading stabilised but as soon as i lifted the roof motor and seen therust and damp i knew i found the culprit.
My day job involves troubleshooting multidrop rs485 systems which share some similarity with canbus.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The ecu in the boot is not the airbag ecu it is the roll hoop ecu this is in addition to the airbag ecu and fires the roll hoops you are lucky this did not happen as it wrecks the car !!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts