Peugeot Forums banner

2003 Peugeot 307cc 2.0 Petrol. Does not start but will crank. Code P1621 on the OBD reader.

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbine 
#1 ·
2003 Peugeot 307cc 2.0 Petrol. Does not start but will crank. Code P1621 on the OBD reader

Just had all spark plugs and 2 injectors replaced. Drove home the previous day with no issues whatsoever, parked the car and left it overnight.
The following day the car would not start. The engine cranked / turned but would not start. The same battery started the car with no issues whatsoever the day before.
This is during the summer, so temperatures are sufficient (it's not a cold weather problem)
The fuel rail has fuel, so it's not a pump issue. (I managed to spray my own eyes with fuel when checking, yes I know I should have known better, but I didnt.)
I also tried leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours and reconnecting it, but that did not solve anything.

Maybe important
The Key housing was pretty banged upso I changed the key from the original housing to one that I bought on amazon. (just the plastic housing)
I was very careful with replacing it, I didnt replace anything electronic and the key still opens the car as it did before. (if it opens the car then it must be paired right?

I have checked and the OBD scan tool I have shows code P1621 which suggests either a crankshaft error or the immobilizer getting triggered and an issue in connection between the ECU and the BSI (that would require the unlock code, and god knows where that is on a 20 yr old car)

Asphalt Font Pattern Flooring Rectangle

I'm thinking of things that might be wrong here:

1.- the crankshaft sensor?
2.- the coil? (so no spark)
3.- something with the ECU / BSI software? (immobilizer)
4.- Somehow the battery voltage... ?
5.- key unpaired in some way?
6.- I've seen videos where the BSI unpairs with the ECU and you need to retrieve the immobilizer code before you can do anything.

1 and 2 are unlikely as the car drove perfectly fine from the garage the day before and was not touched overnight.
I have an old PP2000 that I run on a windows XP VM, so I'll give that a go.... Tomorrow.

Any ideas / advice would be greatly appreciated, I've tried doing my homework but I'm no mechanic.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am no help with the electronics.

Could it be as simple as a leaking injector and that one or more cylinders has been flooded with petrol?

1) Have you tried cranking the engine for a longer period with the accelerator pedal fully depressed (clear flood mode).

2) You might need to take out the spark plugs and give the affected ones a cleaning if they have become fauled.

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe important
The Key housing was pretty banged upso I changed the key from the original housing to one that I bought on amazon. (just the plastic housing)
I was very careful with replacing it, I didnt replace anything electronic and the key still opens the car as it did before. (if it opens the car then it must be paired right?

I have checked and the OBD scan tool I have shows code P1621 which suggests either a crankshaft error or the immobilizer getting triggered and an issue in connection between the ECU and the BSI (that would require the unlock code, and god knows where that is on a 20 yr old car)
Did this problem occur immediately after you changed the key's case? A lot of people move the PCB to the new case but miss the small black transponder chip in the corner of the case. If you don't move the transponder chip the car will crank but not start and the doors will still lock and unlock.

One warning about disconnecting the battery. You must make sure: everything thing is off, the keys are out of the ignition, the doors are shut (you can leave the driver's window open for access) and then wait 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery. If you don't do this you can corrupt the BSI.

It would also be worth doing the beep test. Put the key in the ignition then turn it on then off, leave the key in the ignition. Then open the driver's door and lisiten for a warning beep.

Attachments

#12 ·
2003 Peugeot 307cc 2.0 Petrol. Does not start but will crank. Code P1621 on the OBD reader

Just had all spark plugs and 2 injectors replaced. Drove home the previous day with no issues whatsoever, parked the car and left it overnight.
The following day the car would not start. The engine cranked / turned but would not start. The same battery started the car with no issues whatsoever the day before.
This is during the summer, so temperatures are sufficient (it's not a cold weather problem)
The fuel rail has fuel, so it's not a pump issue. (I managed to spray my own eyes with fuel when checking, yes I know I should have known better, but I didnt.)
I also tried leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours and reconnecting it, but that did not solve anything.

Maybe important

6.- I've seen videos where the BSI unpairs with the ECU and you need to retrieve the immobilizer code before you can do anything.

1 and 2 are unlikely as the car drove perfectly fine from the garage the day before and was not touched overnight.
I have an old PP2000 that I run on a windows XP VM, so I'll give that a go.... Tomorrow.

Any ideas / advice would be greatly appreciated, I've tried doing my homework but I'm no mechanic.

Maybe important

View attachment 100372

Hi, this might sound ridiculous but you might need to do a reset, due to the key problem. Happened to me once with my 2001 Convertible. There’s a red button on mine (near the windscreen edge under the bonnet).
The problem I had was due to some sort of cut off switch.

#15 ·
Hi, this might sound ridiculous but you might need to do a reset, due to the key problem. Happened to me once with my 2001 Convertible. There’s a red button on mine (near the windscreen edge under the bonnet).
The problem I had was due to some sort of cut off switch.
True, it was the immobilizing chip in the key, but maybe his solution will help somebody else at some point. Thanks PugLuv!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.