Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since about Christmas, I've noticed my car's been way down on the usual mpg it achieves.

For example, back in the summer, it was returning 280-300 miles for half a tank - granted that was a good proportion of motorway driving.

At the moment, as I'm using the car to get to and from work (instead of the 330 or the motorbike!) which is 13 miles each way, bit traffic clogged, but about a 25 min trip each way. However, i've used 3/4 tank and it's only managed 330 miles, and there's no way I'tll be getting the usual 450 or more out of a full tank. :nono:

I've had it on planet and there's no faults showing.

The temperature guage has always seemed quite low to me, it sits at about between 75 and 80. It never gets to the halfway 90 mark - even in the summer and sat it traffic it would very rarely close to 90 - only once when i deliberately left it idling for about an hour in blazing sunshine and it only just got to 90, and has never gone above this or overheated.

That said, the engine msut be warming up fine, as heat comes out of the heaters within a few minutes of driving, even this morning when it was -5 degrees outside.

The car was serviced (by me) in Autumn this year, so has nice fresh oil in it. It hardly uses any oil, teh coolant level is fine, and the car feels like it's driving fine.

I don't believe my car has a DPF (from what I've read, that's a "luxury" afforded to the110 bhp models....along with a clattering DMF), and I haven't checked - nor would I know to - the EGR valve, but I was under the impression if this was goosed it'd flag on planet?

Is the drop in economy just a combination of the damn cold weather and me not doing as many motorway trips?

Any other suggestions I can look at please?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 110bhp 1.6 hdi and it is the same, temp gauge always sit between 75 and 80. it has never got more than 450 on a tank (38mpg) on the motorway and as low as 33mpg about town.
I had the DPF removed after problems with it but made no difference to the mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since about Christmas, I've noticed my car's been way down on the usual mpg it achieves.

For example, back in the summer, it was returning 280-300 miles for half a tank - granted that was a good proportion of motorway driving.

At the moment, as I'm using the car to get to and from work (instead of the 330 or the motorbike!) which is 13 miles each way, bit traffic clogged, but about a 25 min trip each way. However, i've used 3/4 tank and it's only managed 330 miles, and there's no way I'tll be getting the usual 450 or more out of a full tank. :nono:

I've had it on planet and there's no faults showing.

The temperature guage has always seemed quite low to me, it sits at about between 75 and 80. It never gets to the halfway 90 mark - even in the summer and sat it traffic it would very rarely close to 90 - only once when i deliberately left it idling for about an hour in blazing sunshine and it only just got to 90, and has never gone above this or overheated.

That said, the engine msut be warming up fine, as heat comes out of the heaters within a few minutes of driving, even this morning when it was -5 degrees outside.

The car was serviced (by me) in Autumn this year, so has nice fresh oil in it. It hardly uses any oil, teh coolant level is fine, and the car feels like it's driving fine.

I don't believe my car has a DPF (from what I've read, that's a "luxury" afforded to the110 bhp models....along with a clattering DMF), and I haven't checked - nor would I know to - the EGR valve, but I was under the impression if this was goosed it'd flag on planet?

Is the drop in economy just a combination of the damn cold weather and me not doing as many motorway trips?

Any other suggestions I can look at please?
Did you change the fuel filter with the service? can you try and put a fuel additive< is the MAF ok? this could be bringing in to much mixture or what ever! - Try talking to bennyball he knows these cars well, Im not saying def these are the things that are wrong but you have probaly checked all this already, good luck mate keep us updated

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi all I've got the 90bhp but I've not had this long but I think it's crap on fuel too but I just put it down to the cold.
Don't do anything just wait for the whether to warm up a bit.
I used to have a smart car and the cold whether used to drop the mpg on that too, think its just a turbo thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mines been crap for 2 years, the cold weather never affected my golf tdi or bmw diesel I had before. Do think it is a problem with them its just trying to find out what!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 90Bhp does not have particulate filter :)

i have the same as you, 90bhp, and my economy has gone haywire, its not the weather that's causing it i have lost nearly 20mpg in a few weeks!

So if anyone knows which specific faults can cause economy to fail please list them and i will drill through them one by one on my car and test to see if any results as i go - then i will post them back here :)

Thanks
Ade.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 90Bhp does not have particulate filter :)

i have the same as you, 90bhp, and my economy has gone haywire, its not the weather that's causing it i have lost nearly 20mpg in a few weeks!

So if anyone knows which specific faults can cause economy to fail please list them and i will drill through them one by one on my car and test to see if any results as i go - then i will post them back here :)

Thanks
Ade.
Have you had any fault codes come up on your p-planet? I had a low pressure on my fuel rail! Would this lower the mpg?
But saying that the code was reset and its not come back so it could of been a old code that wasn't reset..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you had any fault codes come up on your p-planet? I had a low pressure on my fuel rail! Would this lower the mpg?
But saying that the code was reset and its not come back so it could of been a old code that wasn't reset..
I had one, air flow meter open circuit, but i cleared it and it didn't come back so i presumed that was an old fault?
Not sure that low fuel rail pressure would mess with your mpg to be honest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well if you don't have any faults come up then I would say its the weather.
It may be just one of them things
Im not convinced the weather can affect economy to the tune of -20mpg, Diagnostics can only spot electrical faults which leads me to believe its mechanical.

Engines generally run better in the cold as the engine is drawing cold rich air which increases efficiency, sooo im more looking mechanical :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Im not convinced the weather can affect economy to the tune of -20mpg, Diagnostics can only spot electrical faults which leads me to believe its mechanical.

Engines generally run better in the cold as the engine is drawing cold rich air which increases efficiency, sooo im more looking mechanical :)
Well if you find anything please pm me :thumb:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Will do, gonna get it up on the lift ramp tomorrow and get the fine toothed comb on it.
Gonna run the smoke machine into the engine system see if i have any air/vacuum leaks too! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't change the fuel filter, no, I've never found them to get clogged or in desperate need of changing on any car I've owned.

It's looking like I might squeeze 380, maybe 400 out of this current tank.:confused:

Glad to see its not just me then:lol:

Suppose I can't complain, the 330 barely manages 200 on a tank! :rolleyes:

·
11,961 Posts
My first 307 was a 90 and was fairly decent on fuel. I noticed a drop in economy and power on two occasions.

The first was a faulty MAF. Disconnecting made no difference.

The second was a loose air intake pipe.

The fuel filter should be changed though. Its not like the air filter where you can visually see the drop in integrity.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you determine it was faulty mate?

Would it not flag on Planet?

I've read posts about cleaning the MAF - I assume it's a case of giving it a gentle squirt with some electrical contact cleaner?

·
11,961 Posts
It was Pre-Planet and there was nobody local back then. I searched this forum and the MAF seemed the common thing to try first. I also had a diesel Punto a couple of years before with the same problem.

The MAF is supposedly self cleaning - it runs a high current through the wires to burn off any crud, so cleaning with electrical cleaner is a bit of a placebo. However, it doesn't hurt to clean the housing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's quite a pricey part to just swap out on the off-chance it might be causing the problem. Is there no way of checking it's operation?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts