Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have a 2003 2.2 hdi Peugeot boxer van.

It had been stood for around 8 years so it had numerous problems. I have managed to fix most I think bit I am really stuck now. Both fuel pumps are now working and the injectors are spraying but it won't start. If I give it a spray of easystart the engine will run but stop as soon as the spray stops.

I can't understand if it is getting diesel to the cylinders why it won't run? I was thinking glow plugs but surely if it can combust easy start this would be enough heat to ignite the fuel?

So I am leaning towards contaminated fuel? It was sat a long time, and I just topped it up I didn't drain it first, would this be possible?

Other than that I have no more ideas really. Timing belt is in good condition.

I hope someone with a bit more knowledge than me can point me in the right direction?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hdi engine does not need glow plugs to start!!!

If you did a bit of searching you may have found the answer

Key in ignition turn on turn off leave in ignition and open the door, does it beep to say key is in

You need to check the following live data
Cam crank sync
Engine speed when cranking
Fuel pressure
Ecu locked/unlocked

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Diesel will NOT come out the injectors and into the cylinders unless the ecu allows it

You say injectors are spraying you CANNOT know this as you cannot see the business end without removing them and they will not spray unless wired up

As stated above you need computer info to fix this good old fashioned open the injector feed to check for fuel does not work on modern diesels they are ALL fed from a common source so if you open 1 you reduce pressure to them all so it wont go as the ecu senses a leak !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your replies, I don't have a computer to read this data unfortunately. The van is not really worth taking to get repaired as it's been left in such a bad state so I was hoping to fix myself. Unfortunately my only previous diesel experience is repairing tractors which are all mechanical.

Is there something you would recommend I buy to read this data that will not cost the earth?

I presume the injectors are spraying as I have loosened the injector clamps slightly and I get a hiss and cloud of atomized diesel?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If that were the case then the engine would be running as for the injectors to fire fuel the ecu needs to be happy with all its inputs and if it were happy with all its inputs the injectors would be opened and the engine would run.

Might be worth a tow start as sometimes they are just turning too slow with the starter especially if it has not run for a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give that a try, I can only guess that the cloud from the injectors is fuel but I can't see what else it can be.

It has been stood for around 8 years and I did have to repair the starter initially before it would turn. But it seems to be turning now at a decent speed. I will try a tow and let you know. Thank you

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Thank you very much for your replies, I don't have a computer to read this data unfortunately. The van is not really worth taking to get repaired as it's been left in such a bad state so I was hoping to fix myself. Unfortunately my only previous diesel experience is repairing tractors which are all mechanical.

Is there something you would recommend I buy to read this data that will not cost the earth?

I presume the injectors are spraying as I have loosened the injector clamps slightly and I get a hiss and cloud of atomized diesel?
have a very careful read of this thread http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that, I have tried a tow start but with no luck. I removed and cleaned the fuel tank, replaced it with new fuel and bled it through. Tried to start and it sound like it could start but I flattened the battery. :(

The van does not beep when I leave the key in the ignition and open the doors? What does this mean?

I have read the post you advised and been looking into these computers, I imagine most of them on ebay are Chinese, will these still work? I think a computer will
be my next step

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Thank you for that, I have tried a tow start but with no luck. I removed and cleaned the fuel tank, replaced it with new fuel and bled it through. Tried to start and it sound like it could start but I flattened the battery. :(

The van does not beep when I leave the key in the ignition and open the doors? What does this mean?

I have read the post you advised and been looking into these computers, I imagine most of them on ebay are Chinese, will these still work? I think a computer will
be my next step
i cant remember if the beeping is relevant on this van as its on the fiat system

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
ALL the planet systems are chinese clones :)

only dealers can afford the real thing !

Problem is as trustme says its not a true peugeot even though its badged a peugeot it has lots of shared parts with fiat and planet may not talk to it delphi will.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi have you thought about the immobiliser ? with it stood that amount of time it could be that needs looking at and also you say you did not drain the fuel we all know what happens to diesel fuel when it stands for ages . to be honest it may cost you more than its worth to try and get fixed

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
ALL the planet systems are chinese clones :)

only dealers can afford the real thing !

Problem is as trustme says its not a true peugeot even though its badged a peugeot it has lots of shared parts with fiat and planet may not talk to it delphi will.
yep and as its fiat system its a pre-coded key that is either purchased from dealers with pre-code writen on chip in key and then 4 digit pin used to program or someone like me can extract the pre-coding & pin then write this to a blank chip and use the pin to program or i could write this into the eeprom chip that i would be extracting from

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been waiting for the pp2000 and equipment to arrive. I have plugged it in and done some tests. Here are the results...

Permanent fault. Fuel pressure regulator. Short circuit or short circuit to earth.

Permanent fault. Diesel pressure signal. Short circuit to positive or open circuit.

Intermittent fault. Injector 1. Open circuit.

But it is not giving me any fault codes?

ECU UNLOCKED
Fuel pressure 400 bars (this is constant 400 with or without cranking?)
Engine speed when cranking fluctuated between 160 and 200ish
I can't find the cam crank sync on pp

Do you think my next step would be to remove and clean/ replace the fuel pressure regulator? I have checked the voltage at the regulator and it's ok.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good morning, I have been out to the van this morning and got some screenshots while cranking. I also performed the actuators tests and for most things i could here clicking or energising but on the high pressure components tests i heard no sound from the de-activator of no 3 piston or the high pressure fuel regulator? Is this normal? Can anyone tell me what the voltages should be at these parts? The regulator seems to get an initial 12v which then drops to around 8.5 and the piston de-activator only around 3.5v?

I was not able to take screen shots unfortunately so have had to take pictures with my phone. I hope this will be ok. The fuel pressure is no longer stuck on 400bars now but it does seem very low. I am pretty sure the high pressure pump itself is working and there is no metal in the fuel filter.

Hopefully someone can advise me where to go from the pictures in the link below

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApiwfqtZoXjWgd9FsHRncPcYnNBSVg

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
good morning, I have been out to the van this morning and got some screenshots while cranking. I also performed the actuators tests and for most things i could here clicking or energising but on the high pressure components tests i heard no sound from the de-activator of no 3 piston or the high pressure fuel regulator? Is this normal? Can anyone tell me what the voltages should be at these parts? The regulator seems to get an initial 12v which then drops to around 8.5 and the piston de-activator only around 3.5v?

I was not able to take screen shots unfortunately so have had to take pictures with my phone. I hope this will be ok. The fuel pressure is no longer stuck on 400bars now but it does seem very low. I am pretty sure the high pressure pump itself is working and there is no metal in the fuel filter.

Hopefully someone can advise me where to go from the pictures in the link below

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApiwfqtZoXjWgd9FsHRncPcYnNBSVg
your battery is weak and not turning the starter fast enough this in turn is not giving pressure on the fuel to start so get your battery issue sorted first and get your cranking speed up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you for your suggestions so far... I have replaced the battery and still have the same problem, engine turns much faster but rail pressure does not get above 60bar.

I tried to get the pressure regulator off but the torx heads stripped from all the rust. So I had to remove the pump to the remove the regulator. The regulator was very thick with flaking rust and the plastic cover at the back with the plug on it has split from the rust spreading underneath it could this be a problem?. I read somewhere that the regulator should rattle when your shake it? Is this correct as mine makes no sound.

Also I have noticed that when I switch the ignition to on but don't crank the lift pump actually pumps diesel through the high pressure pump and into the rail, is this normal?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts