Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
New on the forum and I am asking a question for my daughter,she has a 2002 Peugeot 206 5 door and just recently the car has been cutting out on her but falters and then picks up again whilst driving it.
5 days ago she was coming back from Plymouth to Bristol and it faltered and stopped completely this time and she could not start it again, she belongs to Green Flag and they transported her back to Bristol and dropped the car off at an indie.
They did a diagnostic and no fault codes were showing and they were able to start the car but they replaced a coil pack (I cant imagine why because I thought one coil pack going would just cause it to fire on 3 cylinders) they had it for 3 days and run it and all was OK.
She has had it for a couple of days and it has done the same thing again,the strange thing is she can run it for a week and more and it never happens,does this sound like an immobiliser problem to you guys and has any member had this problem my daughter is getting very worried that it will let her down late at night.
Thanks
Norman:confused: :eek:

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
don`t know much about the 206 but have you done the basics like dirty filters as it could be a fuel issue , also is there an idle speed nut(not sure right name) that gives bother on them , sorry just stabbing in the dark, some of the other guys will be about later more chance of getting a better idea then.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi D
No clicking it is just as though the ignition is being turned off,I think this is going to be a hard one to find as it is intermittant with no fault codes showing.

The cars are just too complicated now days I used to do all of my own repairs when we had plugs,points,distributor and coil but those days are gone and repairs are now expensive because a diagnostic is expensive before you even start fitting parts.

Norman:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just Googled this problem and it is a common fault that Peugeot knows about but does not have a fix (Pathetic) the advise from the experts is to get rid and don't buy another Peugeot as this is a dangerous fault and could kill.
Just do a search in google and put in peugeot 206 cutting out and it is scary.

Norman:eek:

G

·
Hi

Norman - do you have a link to that article you read?

I know there were recalls on several peugeots for dodgey ignition switch units.. perhaps its that, but if you say no known fix, then that IS unacceptable.

Why I asked about clicks... I have seen a wiring loom problem on a few that cuts the engine, and obviously prevents a restart.

The only way to chck for this is to check the12v supplies to the ecu when the fault is present. You will find that one is missing!

No codes were shown with this fault because as far as teh car is concerned, the ignition is just being switched off...

It might be worth putting the car on to ignition setting II and having a good old wiggle of the wiring loom - and listen for a click.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi David
The forum won't let me put a URL on because I have not reached 5 posts yet,when I reach it I will put it on for you it doesn't make good reading.

Thanks for your help I will try what you suggest.

Norman

G

·
Hi Norman

Thanks for posting that link, its an interesting read. It is however, a bit extreme, as I cannot beleive that a manufacturer would not be able to fix one of their own vehicles if there were such a problem, plus we would ahve seen the lawsuits in the papers by now! Plus, if there was mileage (sic) in the issue, Watchdog would have been on the case to the bitter end I am sure.

I would also say that swapping the list of items that are listed is futile, as failure of these items are unlikley to result in the fault as presented. I agree that faulre would result in rough running in many cases, but few of them would kill the engine dead.

I would be trully interested in hearing what Peugeots own reply to the issue is, if it trully exists. I am sure that some owners must have written to Peugeot and received back written replies - must have a llook to see if any are posted on the web.

The route to cure, or at least diagnose the problem must be through analysis of live data from the ecu and sensors, as that would show like a "black box" exactly what was happening up until the problem occurs. I appreciate we cannot recreate the problem, but if it is a real one, peugeot would have had a "donkey" running day and night for months until they did see it happen.

There is of course a chance that the problem is with the actual software "program" within the ecu - this coudl crash, just as Windows can... and therfore not be able to enter limp home mode, or indeed log any codes. One thing that sways me away from this thought is that the ecu used will no doubt be used in many other vehicles - not just peugeot, so if it was this, it would be very widespread.

Its an interesting one... but I would certainly not assume that is your problem!

Yours could be a failing crank or map sensor - those would give you the symptoms you indicate. There would be codes logged for total failures but only live data would show whats wrong if the sensors were still within the tolerance.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dave
Daughters car broke down again yesterday and had to be towed back to the garage but this time they had a code come up (asked her what it was but being a women she did not know) they have ordered a part that they are going to fit today so will keep you informed as it could be helpful to other members.

Norman

G

·
Hi Norman

At least they got a code- its worth asking for it just for future reference.

lets hope that fixes it, as often codes on their own are not much help... its like going to the doc with a sore head... fix the head with some asprin, but the high blood pressure that caused the headache has not been fixed....

Please let us know what the outcome is.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi David
Car has been sent to the main dealers to sort out (OUCH) be interesting if they can say yes we know whats wrong with it and repair it because my daughter has lost confidence in it now and just wants to get rid

Norman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the forum members may be interested in this.

1 Week in the Peugeot main dealers and they still can't find out what is wrong with it they keep saying it is ok now but it isn't I can't believe they can't find the fault on this car (AMAZING)

·
Registered
239 Posts
im not surprised at all because they would be using a computer rather than going into things that could cause that to happen like a bad earth as this would be the first thing to check,

just looking at the wires doesn't help they need to be checked thoroughly for rotting and you should see the dreaded green furring also the positive lead on the battery is it fixed tight? if not it will lose connection intermittently same as a earth wire would,

unfortunately this sort of problem being intermittent are difficult to track and need the old style mechanic to get in there as they are trained better to hunt for things like that like me for instance ( not bragging of course ) its just when I was an apprentice too many years ago it was required to do everything and that means electrics/changing tyres/washing the cars where as today its horses for courses and the need for a laptop ( I do love the idea the computer does all the work though ) that's new technology for you and im into that now as its required to save money.:)

G

·
NFR said:
I think the forum members may be interested in this.

1 Week in the Peugeot main dealers and they still can't find out what is wrong with it they keep saying it is ok now but it isn't I can't believe they can't find the fault on this car (AMAZING)
HI - remember, and be strong when you go to collect the car and dont put up with a big bill due to their incompetence.... and inability to diagnose correctly.

As said, sometimes the "old way" is best - and any electronics that self diagnoses always requires verification - thats why so many dealers now swap parts... and find nothing is fixed...

D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys
Update on the car it has now been in the main dealers for 3 weeks now and they still can't find the problem it is getting stupid now.

They are going to try a second hand ECU that they know is working to see if that gets it going, I can't believe they can't get it going after all this time I will keep you updated IF they ever get it going

1 - 17 of 17 Posts