Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the gearbox had its oil changed its all gone down hill, once i had taking the car from the garage the car had no power, after a hell of arguing i ended up having to take it to an other mechanic to find out it was an 02 sensor on the pipe from the air filter that the previous mechanic had damaged when removing the battery to get at the top of the gearbox to fill it with oil, 2 days after the gearbox oil change the car would not come out of 3 gear, with a hell of forcing to be done on the hard shoulder, this had happend to be a few times which made me think am not going to get where i want to go but 2 years on now no problems only a winding and grinding noise on 1 gear when just roiling in gear and not accelerating, when i do it in 2nd gear and dont accelerate its not really there, and when cruising around 70mph you can hear a sort of humming sounds front the front of the passenger foot wheel where the gearox is located, for the 3 years the car has been a dream to own with very little work having to go into it, i feel like i want to upgrade to a 308 or 207 so am considering selling her, but to do so i want to sort this noise for the car to be in great condition for the new owner. Any help would be greatly appreciated people, i know a fair bit about cars :thumb:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, so why did you initially have the gearbox oil changed, was there a problem?
If the problem only occurred after changing the oil then they put the wrong oil in, it can actually make quite a difference.

Either that or the clutch isn't disengaging properly.

And P.S. you car 100% does not have an O2 sensor so I'm not sure what they charged you to replace, they most like just left the MAF disconnected ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was getting coilovers put in, so with no wheel on the car was let down a bit to see what height is was like on the other side and the drive popped out on the passenger side and thats why that operation hd to be done ha, shit sorry not an oxygen sensor, think its a MAF the call it, it a sensor attached to part of the pipe that comes up from the air filter you know? because i have the old one in the shed and a second hand one put on which got the car back wo what it was. ehmmm wonder would it be the clutch not disengaging properly because the clutch seems 100%

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i forget what type of oil was put in, but was told it did the peugeot partners gearbox aswell, which there 90bhp and my cars 110bhp, would that of made any difference :/? thanks man for the quick reply btw :thumb:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you had the ride height altered you are now running the driveshafts out of line. This may account for the humming noise, but should have no affect on changing gear. This does sound like a clutch not disengaging fully. If it happened once and recovered possibly the clutch driven plate was binding on the input shaft.

Roger.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I can only give some advice based on what you've said, but if it was me:

1. Drain ALL the oil and fill it up with the right stuff

2. Bleed the hydraulic clutch cylinder to make sure it's working properly.

3. Get somebody else to look at it, might be obvious to another mechanic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So if it was to get jammed in gear again, if I was to open it up to look at the clutch how would you know if it was not disengaging right?, I know the gearstick is all over the place when selecting gears. I'm use to it since it's my car though an presume that it's the gear linkage, this would hardly be causing the problem would u think? But the most worrying problem is the sound of the gearbox when just cruising in first gear, I'd try take a video of the sound some time but don't know if I can upload it anywhere hear for any of yous to listen too it, really do appreciate the replies men. Thanks a million

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Sticking in 3rd gear is a common problem with this gearbox its down to wear on the linkage INSIDE the box.
it happens more on the 1.6 hdi but the box internals are the same so suffer the same issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeah am thinking gearbox :/, trust me the sound of it in 1st gear is just annoying the hell out of me now, its like a dog growling inside the box, but if you were to put your foot on the accelerator slightly to keep it up with the speed of the car then it goes away, its only when its holding the car from going any quicker if you get me. does the gearbox out of the 406 110 2.0hdi fit the 307 do you know?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, if it's making constant noises then it probably is the gearbox. Get some videos of your noise/problem and it might be easier for us to tell you what's going on.

It would only be a problem with the clutch not disengaging if it's hard to change gears, and if when the clutch is down and you are in gear the car still goes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts