Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the 136 BHP version can be tuned/modified to anywhere near 200hp, I am aware a remap can take it to around 165hp, what else can be done at reasonable cost [say £1000] to take it up to the 200hp figure?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I honestly think you would struggle certainly for the £1k mark... Perhaps have a look at a decent FMIC, bigger core. Certainly on the VAG scene instead of spending 700+ on an FMIC, someone called Welly developed the Wellycooler. Getting the engine to breath better is always a good way to start. Perhaps an exhaust that is free flowing and a decent panel filter. Custom remap would be the way to go, bring in all the alterations in line.

After that you would be looking at a hybrid turbo.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
You need more capacity to get 200hp RELIABLY

200hp is probably possible but so many weakpoints would need sorting first AND the clutch/gearbox would give up pretty damn quick

Rods wont handle the boost needed to get 200hp crank might but only just then there is the extra heat to get rid of
Turbo is too small to flow enough gasses bigger turbo means more lag and no bottom end power

Head overall design has a few weakpoints that would also need taken care of valves are actually quite small

I recon you could see 180 hp reliably but after that its going to be unreliable at best and use more fuel than an equivalent power petrol engine so whats the point :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I don't think you do and the way things are designed now a days, they are built to take a lot more power, unless you have tested this already.

IMO with a remap being able to take you to roughly 165bhp, any stresses would be seen there. Heat isn't really going to be an issues to expel if you know what you're doing and they're designed to expel heat, the only way you're going to know for sure is by doing some before and after log tests.

I would also say it's more clutch rather than gearbox too. Over in europe they seem to tune them well and they will use exactly the same gearbox. It's all trial and error and ok if there is an error then you need deep pockets or a friend that can get you the parts you need :)

Hybrid turbo is the way to go and the only reason you would get lag is due to the intercooler that is already there, change that for a bigger core and run 2.5" pipes, you won't see the lag especially if you get it piped up right.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'll give it a go. Usually you can get double the power out of an engine, my 1.6 110 is running almost 200 BHP so I don't see why the 136 won't hit 200 with the right turbo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks, sounds like it would be much easier just to go for the 2.7 version.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll give it a go. Usually you can get double the power out of an engine, my 1.6 110 is running almost 200 BHP so I don't see why the 136 won't hit 200 with the right turbo.
That's some good work... What did you do to get that figure?

Have you got a build thread?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nothing too fancy, giant intercooler, GT2052V VNT turbo from a 2.5 TDI, 3 bar map sensor, straight through exhaust and then a lot of changes in the software. So far the fuel pump and injectors are keeping up with what I'm requesting so I won't need to change them.

I'll get a build thread up once it's all done, it's a lot of work setting up the turbo control.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nothing too fancy, giant intercooler, GT2052V VNT turbo from a 2.5 TDI, 3 bar map sensor, straight through exhaust and then a lot of changes in the software. So far the fuel pump and injectors are keeping up with what I'm requesting so I won't need to change them.

I'll get a build thread up once it's all done, it's a lot of work setting up the turbo control.
I'm interested in seeing this, roughly how much has that cost you so far?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'll get some pictures up once I've tidied up the engine bay.

Not a massive amount, think the turbo was about £100, laser cut and welded an adaptor maybe £40, intercooler about £80, lots of bits of silicone £50-100. Exhaust tubes £50.

Next is a Helix paddle clutch from a 2.0 hdi with a 1.6 van solid flywheel and pressure plate, then I can actually up the torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts